• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Was Wal-Mart Wrong In Firing Me??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bj81

What is the name of your state? Arkansas

Okay first off, I have never really liked my job as an Asssociate at Wally-World and I have been wanting for awhile to get something better and move up to something better but today I finnally got the boot. I have been written up for being late and I did have well over the required 7 points that you are allowed for being tardy or absent before you got fired but my boss has saved me many times b/c he saw how valuable I am. But in the recent week, and this is after I was late again and was able to beg my boss for another chance, I was late a few more times because of circumstance beyond my control(I live over 10 miles away and I also have other responsibilities, so those few times I was late, which was no more than 8 minutes this time and just a few the other times, so I filled out a time adjustment form and claimed that I forgot to punch in(which was in a way true as my department(grocery) is at the front and we are very busy this time of year)and I only put my punch-in down for a few minutes before I actually got there(6 minutes at the longest but only about 4 minutes for the other two times) so it won't look like I was late since it was just a few minutes. Well he looked me up on the camera and said he saw me once going to look at the time clock after getting there a few minutes late and then going to work without clocking in and then claiming I forgot to punch in and he fired me for that. Well, getting fired from Wal-Mart is not the end of the world for me because there are many, many better jobs out there but I don't want to be called a thief(as I am not)and have my reputation ruined after there have been people who would punch back in from lunch and then go sit in the breakroom for 30 minutes or more and then only get a slap on the wrist and nothing harmful happens to their reputation as well as people who have stolen big merchandise and was still able to get through with only a termination and then everyone forgetting about it and then they still get ahead in life after the fact. I was told I could never be hired by Wal-Mart again(although I don't work for them ever again but it is the principle of the thing) and they called what I did "Gross Misconduct" when I knew some girl at another Wal-Mart store who actually stole merchandise from the store, got fired but was later re-hired and all I did was steal a few minutes of company time(about 5 cents worth) and the time they claimed I stole I still question as I don't think it was as much as they said I did and plus I believe I was already in the building and getting to work at the time specified and my manager refused to let me see the video he claimed he saw me do it on and I think I should be entitled to see that as well. Any advice??:confused:

Last edited:

bj81

"
No, they were not wrong for firing you."

"Ah, but you are.
"

But should I be able to see the video?? and what about all of these people that have gotten away with big thievery?? Mine was just a few minutes off a time clock and that should not ruin my future and I am not a thief compared to some people

Last edited:

las365

I am not a thief compared to some people
Yes, really, you are. You stole and you lied. Whether other people also stole or lied and what their consequences were in comparison to yours isn't really relevant, in my opinion. Others may differ.

bj81

Yes, really. You stole and you lied. Whether other people also stole or lied and what their consequences were in comparison to yours isn't really relevant, in my opinion. Others may differ.
Stole a few cents of time, c'mon and I should be able to see the camera too and I should be free from having my future ruined as I am a pretty honest person except for this.

Also, these other people I am talking about are people who stole big stuff like merchandise and over 30 minutes worth of company time and bank robbers and stuff like that.

Like I said, Wal-Mart hired some chick back that was fired for stealing over $50 worth of merchandise.

HomeGuru

Stole a few cents of time, c'mon and I should be able to see the camera too and I should be free from having my future ruined as I am a pretty honest person except for this.

Also, these other people I am talking about are people who stole big stuff like merchandise and over 30 minutes worth of company time and bank robbers and stuff like that.

Like I said, Wal-Mart hired some chick back that was fired for stealing over $50 worth of merchandise.
**A: all the other thiefs have nothing to do with your situation.

bj81

**A: all the other thiefs have nothing to do with your situation.

Yes it does. I have always been a pretty honest person and I don't want my reputation ruined over a few cents of company time when there are real thieves who have got away with more. I'm worried this is going to ruin my reputation and future.

HomeGuru

Yes it does. I have always been a pretty honest person and I don't want my reputation ruined over a few cents of company time when there are real thieves who have got away with more. I'm worried this is going to ruin my reputation and future.
**A: ok, I guess you know the law better than I do. Good luck to you.

TinkerBelleLuvr

And what did the employee handbook tell you would be the consequence of filing an inaccurate time sheet? I am referring to your falsifying your time card.

bj81

And what did the employee handbook tell you would be the consequence of filing an inaccurate time sheet? I am referring to your falsifying your time card.

I already know I was wrong but I don't want my future ruined by this little incident.

Rich007

IMO- learn from this mistake, dont be late anymore for future jobs.. take responsibility for what you did and just move on.

CourtClerk

I already know I was wrong but I don't want my future ruined by this little incident.
Then you really should think about the consequences to these "little actions" before you commit the offense (lesson #1 - age 5).

You have no inherent right to view their video tape. They've already made the decision to terminate you and until they decide to change their minds, their decision is final.

You really have to come to grips with the fact that you really aren't as honest as you would like to believe yourself to be. You are a thief and a liar and you chose the consequence when you chose the action. You have a serious maturity issue as your rationalization that other people have done worse has no bearing on what you did and your situation.

For example... since I broke curfew when I was a teenager, I should never punish my children when they do it. I mean... some kids shoot up schools. What's a little curfew breaking between kids???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">