• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Walmart

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jeresous

What is the name of your state? California

Not sure im really posting in the right area, I have a few concerns with this place. I am currently employed by Walmart.

The first is not at their fault:
a coworker of mine has run into this problem. His ex girlfriend went to the police and told them he had stolen from his work. Now I am pretty sure that he didnt, but thats beside the point. The police sent someone to his work to inform their loss prevention of this, and he may be fired, is this justified? Was it legal for the police to inform his work of this acusation?

I have a personal problem with my employer as well. I have once been asked to work off the clock, I know this to be illegal, and I didnt do it, but since these requests are undocumented, how can they be faught? I was also told to go against a city ordenence that did not allow us to work outside the store after 10pm for noise problems. I myself was also asked by a manager to empty my pockets, I know he had no reason to suspect myself of stealing. Naturaly, all that was found in my pockets was my box cutter and a writing pen.

Beth3

1. Yes of course it was legal for the police to inform the store of the accusation. (If someone went to the police and told them a neighbor of yours had stolen from your home, wouldn't you want the police to tell you?) Sounds like the police turned it over to loss prevention to investigate.

2. Asking you to work off the clock is not illegal. Requiring or allowing you to do so is. Same goes for the city ordinance. Yes, your boss may ask you to empty your pockets. What he can't do is physically force you to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">