• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

WARN ACT - LOST almost $100,000 and didn't know it.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Parker8294

I was recently demoted from a management position in a layoff that met the WARN ACT guidelines as listed below.

1. Where the employer has 100 or more employees; and
2. Where there is a permanent or temporary shutdown of a single site of employment or one of more facilities or operating units within a single employment site, if the shutdown results in an employment loss at single site for 50 or more employees during any 30-day period.
3. Mass layoff rules come into effect when either 33% of the employees (excluding part-time employees) will be affected and that portion of the workforce numbers more than 50 employees or 500 employees (not incluidng part-time empoyees) will be affected without regard to the percentage test

I was never given the option to meet with HR to discuss the fact that I had the choice to take a severance package or be demoted. I was just demoted. I was told to fill out a transfer form on myself and that was that. Come to find out that I should have been entitled to a meeting with HR as well as been given the option to leave without duress. Many fellow managers did leave after they went to HR and asked about getting a package but I thought that they were being offered both options. I spoke with a VP who stated that we all had a choice so I asked to meet with HR. I was never given that opportunity other than to ask if the calculation I was using was correct. I still don't know if it is the correct calculation because HR told me that they were told not to advise me on what that number would be. I then got a verbal guarantee agreement from the VP and asked him to put it in writing. Never happened. I sent an email to my superiors and to HR asking for something in writing. Again, no dice. Then I get a call stating that I had misunderstood the agreement and that I didn't have any other choices. I am extremely frustrated and am looking to find out what recourse I have, if any, for improper disclosure of the WARN ACT process and what is now a hostile work environment as I am stepping on everyone's toes trying to ensure that I get paid what I was promised or take the option of leaving if it's still available.

Parker8294

Can anyone offer actual advice?

I appreciate your efforts to try and make sure that I am using the proper format. I did Google the WARN ACT but it does not seem to offer any actual answers to my situation. I spent a good 3 hours looking at websites for answers before posting here. I was trying to put my feelers out for people that may have experience in the matter, but it looks like I might be on the wrong website for help in this kind of matter.

moburkes

I appreciate your efforts to try and make sure that I am using the proper format. I did Google the WARN ACT but it does not seem to offer any actual answers to my situation. I spent a good 3 hours looking at websites for answers before posting here. I was trying to put my feelers out for people that may have experience in the matter, but it looks like I might be on the wrong website for help in this kind of matter.
I suspect that, if you use the search button on this site, that this question hasn't been asked recently.

las365

I am extremely frustrated and am looking to find out what recourse I have, if any, for improper disclosure of the WARN ACT process and what is now a hostile work environment as I am stepping on everyone's toes trying to ensure that I get paid what I was promised or take the option of leaving if it's still available.
You should contact an experienced employment law attorney in your area and have a consultation. You may have to pay a consultation fee. It would be worth it.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Do I understand that you are still employed? In that case, what do you think the WARN Act promises you?

Under the law, the term hostile work environment has a very specific meaning and what you describe does not come even close to meeting it.

eerelations

mo - WARN is an American federal law, so when the OP began talking about WARN, it was obvious he was asking about US law. And since WARN is federal, the name of the OP's state isn't required to answer his questions.

moburkes

mo - WARN is an American federal law, so when the OP began talking about WARN, it was obvious he was asking about US law. And since WARN is federal, the name of the OP's state isn't required to answer his questions.
I get that, except for the fact that he erased the question about his state. It's still required.

(I did a google search when I saw the post)

HomeGuru

**A: the state info has significance otherwise we would not have asked for that information. There is a specific reason for those red letters at the top of the screen.
It is not only to make the web page look nice and colorful.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I asked you a specific question, for a specific purpose. If you don't want to answer it, it's no skin off my nose. But I can't answer your question without knowing where you are coming from on this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">