• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Warning prospective employees off an employer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pattytx

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

A few months ago, I left an employer in another state. I have heard that they finally found a candidate (7 months later) for the position. I wouldn't wish this job on my worst enemy. Although I know anybody can sue anybody for anything (if they can find an attorney who'll do it), what is your experience with warning an prospective employee off an employer? This was a high-level management position.

Just curious. Probably won't do it, but I am sorely tempted. :p

Beth3

You have absolutely nothing to gain by doing this. It's one thing to have a private word with a family member or friend and steer them away from a bad career opportunity but it's a whole 'nother thing to search out someone you don't even know for (apparently) the intent of harming your ex-employer by making it difficult if not impossible for them to hire a new executive. If you do that, I can think of several legal claims the employer could potentially bring against you if they get wind of it - and they will. This could end up costing you some big money in legal defense fees and harm your future career prospects as well. I don't know what kind of reference your ex-employer would provide you at the moment but if you do this, you can bet that they're going to tell any prospective employer who contacts them exactly what you did and no company will touch you with a ten-foot pole after that.

So, the short version is that what you are contemplating is a very bad idea.

eerelations

I know exactly how you feel, Patty, from personal experience. However, Beth is right, you could be letting yourself in for a whole lotta hot water if you do this...and who knows, maybe this employer has made a perfect hire, i.e., hired someone who's just as bad as they are! (Or better yet, worse! :D)

Hot Topic

Frankly, I would assume that a total stranger contacting me to warn me off a particular job was probably fired by the company and trying to get even with them.

pattytx

I wasn't fired, but yeah, I'm chicken. :p

Just the vengeful part of me coming through. I get that way sometimes. :(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">