• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

we need protection in nyc!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

madmark

What is the name of your state?ny
I recently was hired at a civil service job in nyc, along with 4 others. we have a one year probationary period before we are all officially civil service. here is my question; There is a very angry employee there that has worked in our title for a long period of time as a provisional employee. He proceeded to fail the exam for this title. consequently he was bumped back to his original department at a substantially lower pay scale than he was enjoying in the provisional title. He has a personal relationship with the director of our department and is going around telling anyone who'll listen that, " ***** promised me he will make an opening for me in that department right before the probation is up, so the list will expire and he can bring me back as a provisional employee again"
Knowing this is being said what steps can i take to protect myself and others from wrongful termination? the only way he can make an opening is to get rid of one of us. Where can i go to get this on record?
Is it only hearsay? Can you protect yourself in a situation like this when no overt threat has been made to you? We as a group are concerned for our jobs and would like to hear from anyone who is knowledgeable as no one feels safe. any help will be appreciated.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And what makes you think he's telling the truth? Just because he claims this person is going to make room for him, doesn't mean he actually will.

Gadfly

Can you protect yourself in a situation like this when no overt threat has been made to you?
Where is the overt threat?

You are assuming a whole lot based on this person's boastings. Better check for the black helicopters.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">