• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What can be asked.....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

John Galt

What is the name of your state? Michigan

What type of questions can a potential employer ask of a past company?

j g

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There are no restrictions on what a potential employer can ask.

There are a few, but not many, restrictions on what a past employer can answer.

They may not give out any medical information. They should not give out any information regarding workers comp claims. All answers must be truthful, or reflect what the employer honestly believes the truth to be.

They MAY give the reason for your termination, if that is your concern.

J

John Galt

Thank you CBG.

Can the previous employer's HR department stop/or restrict you as a former employee from either reviewing or getting copies of your personnal file?

j g

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Under Michigan law, CURRENT employees are allowed to VIEW their file. Nothing in the law requires an employer in Michigan to give you a copy of the file.

My summary did not specify whether or not terminated employees share the same right to view their file. Going by how other states are handled, I strongly suspect that since they did not specifically state that terminated employees can also view their file, that means either that no such right exists or at best, that the law is silent on the issue.

Unless the law specifically gives a terminated employee the right to see their file, then yes, the HR department most certainly can prevent you from seeing it. In the absence of a law guaranteeing you that right, company policy prevails.

You may want to check with the MI DOL as to whether or not terminated employees have a LEGAL right to see their file.

J

John Galt

Much appreciated. I'll post an answer when I find out.

j g

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">