• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What can former employers disclose about you?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Fifthmekon

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Mexico

What can a former employer disclose about you? I was under the impression that former employers could only confirm job titles, wages and dates of employment.

But I wonder if they can, for instance, disclose that a "separation" was voluntary or involuntary. Or share information about performance reviews, etc.

Any information you could provide is very much appreciated.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Your impression is incorrect. That is a widely believed myth, but it is a myth nonetheless. No law in any state has such limitations on what an employer can say.

Rather, an employer can say anything that is true, that they have a good faith belief is true, or that represents their honest and supportable opinion. This includes the truthful reason for a separation, whether it was voluntary or involuntary, and any specific details that the employer deems relevant. This also includes information about performance and performance reviews.

In fact, there are some situations in which an employer can be found liable if they do NOT provide such information.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">