• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What can I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vl2752

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Ohio
Last year I started at a new job with my brothers sister-in-law and his mother-in-law. The sister-in-law is my immediate supervisor. The mother-in-law the AR/AP. Not too long after I started working at this company, the mother-in-law started making negative remarks about my brother to me. I let her know that I did not like this but she continued to do so. My immediate supervisor-the sister-in-law was made aware of this and was present when some of the comments were made. She even asked if it bothered me and I told her "yes". But the comments still continued. Approx. 3 months after I started, the mother-in-law(we'll call her MIL) made some comments that went over the line. And told her so but she continued so as I was walking away I had to tell her a few times that we were not having this conversation. I told my suppervisor-the sister-in-law(we will call her SIL) and told her that her mother crossed the line. After that, the comments were less frequent,but they were still being made. Other supervisors knew of the situation. Then a few months later I found out that my brothers wife received a phone call from MIL telling her that I was getting fired because I was making too many mistakes. This was told to MIL by SIL-who is my immediate supervisor. I was never told I was doing a bad job. I was told I was doing fine. In fact, SIL submitted my name in to be given a raise. At this time my brother became aware of what MIL was saying to me. The next thing I know neither MIL or SIL would talk to me. I work in the same office with my supervisor and this was quite uncomfortable. I could get yes or no answeres to any questions I may have had. This went on for approx. 3 months. I was then called into the office in June to talk to my immediated supervisor(SIL) and three other supervisors-one of which is the second in charge of the company. We will call him SIC. It was very uncomfortable. I felt ganged up on but they never came out and said I was making mistakes or anything. But gave me a paper with my Job Description. And was made to shake SIL hand and told we were starting over with a "clean slate". I then got sick. I have lupus-which I made my conditon know BEFORE my interview. I went to the doctor and was told it was due to stress and depression. I was given 4 more perscriptions to take. And I also had a doctors excuse for my time I missed. While I was off I had a phone conversation with SIC and I was told that he was aware that the conditions at work and our conference helped to make me ill. SIC said he realised that I was given too much to do. That I was doing a good job. That I had nothing to worry about where my job was concerned. My job was "safe". My first day back, SIL asked for my doctors excuse. They were given one. Then slowly things in the office got a little better. Then last friday I was called into the office with SIL and SIC to go over my evaluation. It was not good. I was basically told that my employment there would not last too much longer. That I was doing a poor job. That I was not doing all the duties I was supposed to (which I do all that is listed on my Job Description and then some). But the evaluation said that I always keep busy. I was told I hold two part time positions-Production Asst. and Shipping. SIC said they were doing some restructuring and that this position was not going to be there. That they were creating a new one but that I would not be able to do it. The only position I could do would be the phone operator and she was not leaving any time soon. He told me repeatedly that I just did not fit in. He would never say that I was fired or that I was getting fired but I was made aware that my employment there would not last too much longer. They told me the last day before my vacation. I believe they timed this so that I would look for another job while on vacation. They know that I can't handle the stress of not knowing when I will be out of a job. And they know that I have to think of my health first and that all the stress and hostility would get to me and I would have to quit. That is the way I see it. They want to make me quit so they don't have to fire me. And that is what I will have to do. My last doctors appointment in August I was told I am in remission. I don't want that to change. And it will under the stress of not if they were going to let me go but when. What can I do? I read that "if an employer created intolerable working conditions in an effort to get the employee to quit, the employee may pursue a constructive wrongful termination action". Can I get unemployment? What should I do?

pojo2

You gotta' redo this post if you want anyone to read it! Paragraphs might help but just in the few lines I read, not based on the whole post, it sounds like a bunch of gossipy people to me!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">