• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What can I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JASL

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

I became ill in the beginning of January this year. I am a salaried employee, so I called in and told them each morning that I was sick. The following weekend, I had to go to the hospital, and I was told that I should stay away from work until my symptoms abated. I received letters from my doctor explaining the illness, and my employer told me to bring the letters in when I returned to work. The virus that I had lasted 6 weeks. All during that time, I called them each day and kept in touch. They had sent me a packet after I was gone for 2 weeks, it had short term disability forms, and a form that my doctor was to fill out. They had also told me to bring that in when I came back. Sometime later, I got a phone call from someone asking why my job position was posted on the Internet. I had no idea, and they had not given me any indication that my job was in jeopardy. When I confronted them they told me to come in the following week, and we could discuss it then. They told me that surely I would understand, and that they could not hold my job indefinitely. When I wrote them back, they told me that I was fired because I had not let them know what was wrong with me, and that they hadn't received notes from my doctor. I had kept in touch on almost a daily basis, and they told me to bring the paperwork in when I returned.
Is this something that an employer can do?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If you are the same poster who had this exact situation on another forum, the answer has not changed; you contact the US DOL and complain of a FMLA violation. We went through the details quite thoroughly there.

moburkes

If you are the same poster who had this exact situation on another forum, the answer has not changed; you contact the US DOL and complain of a FMLA violation. We went through the details quite thoroughly there.
And if you ARE that same person, why wouldn't you post the ONLY information that is valid, which is that you are eligible for FMLA, which is the only protection that you have?

JASL

I apologize forthe duplicate post. I'm afraid that I stepped on my wife's toes, and wrote this for her. I had not realized that we were duplicating our efforts.
She also tells me that she has contacted the DOL and is starting the process of reporting them.
Thank you, and again, I am very sorry!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">