• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What can I or should I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nickidy

3 years ago my employment was terminated due to my unsatisfactory sick leave.
I have mental health problems which my employer knew about.
I was planning on moving from Liverpool to Sheffield to move in with my boyfriend and started the transfer process more than 6 months before my proposed move date. This process was messed up by my supervisor twice as she did not know what she was supposed to do.
I spoke to my union rep who advised me not to change my plans and to go ahead with my move as she was going to help with my transfer.
I moved, I was told that I would have a new job start date a month or so later, which was then pulled.
My mental health had already begun to go downhill by this point when I got a phone call from another union rep asking me to just move back to Liverpool to come to work. I explained that I didn't have the money to do this and also the effect that this was having on my mental health. I ended up having a mental breakdown, I had sick notes from my doctor at this point, but my employer decided that my attendance was unsatisfactory and terminated my employment.

At this point, I was in no way capable of appealing the decision and my health got lower and lower to the point that I attempted and almost succeeded suicide.

I have had 2 temporary jobs since then and a month ago I started a new full time, permanent role which suits me down to the ground. Today however, I was called into HR and told that my probation couldn't be passed as my old employer had told them I was sacked due to my unacceptable sickness levels.

Is there anything that I should or can do?

Thank you very much. Nicky.

CSO286

3 years ago my employment was terminated due to my unsatisfactory sick leave.
I have mental health problems which my employer knew about.
I was planning on moving from Liverpool to Sheffield to move in with my boyfriend and started the transfer process more than 6 months before my proposed move date. This process was messed up by my supervisor twice as she did not know what she was supposed to do.
I spoke to my union rep who advised me not to change my plans and to go ahead with my move as she was going to help with my transfer.
I moved, I was told that I would have a new job start date a month or so later, which was then pulled.
My mental health had already begun to go downhill by this point when I got a phone call from another union rep asking me to just move back to Liverpool to come to work. I explained that I didn't have the money to do this and also the effect that this was having on my mental health. I ended up having a mental breakdown, I had sick notes from my doctor at this point, but my employer decided that my attendance was unsatisfactory and terminated my employment.

At this point, I was in no way capable of appealing the decision and my health got lower and lower to the point that I attempted and almost succeeded suicide.

I have had 2 temporary jobs since then and a month ago I started a new full time, permanent role which suits me down to the ground. Today however, I was called into HR and told that my probation couldn't be passed as my old employer had told them I was sacked due to my unacceptable sickness levels.

Is there anything that I should or can do?

Thank you very much. Nicky.

US law only, I'm afraid.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Just as a clarification, US law and UK law are not the same. In fact, at least as far as employment law is concerned, they are VERY different.

Since we are primarily a US board, we do not have responders who are knowledgeable in UK law. There is one, and only one, regular responder who has any knowledge of UK law at all. If she knows the answer when she wanders by, I'm sure she will respond. Otherwise, you might want to be looking for a board that references UK law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">