• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what can we do? plz help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

czanne

Hello, I'm from Pennsylvania. In August, 1999, my husband was hired at a concrete plant and worked there until April, 2000, at which time he went on sick leave due to degenerative disc disease and a spinal tumor. His employer was given letters from his physician stating that he would be unable to work until further notice.
Last week, we received a letter from the company's insurance carrier (PA BC/BS) stating that they would no longer cover my husbands medical expences due to his "termination of employment". This letter also stated that if he wanted to continue coverage, he would need to contact the ins. company and pay out of pocket for the policy.
My husband was never terminated from his job, and as far as we knew (from the human resources manager at the plant) he was still on sick leave. If the company did terminate him, they failed to notify him of this, we have never receieved any notice from them.
What we need to know is, can they fire him because he is on sick leave? And aren't they supposed to notify him if they did fire him?
This all comes to us at a very bad time, my husband has just begun treatment to strengthen himself in order to return to work, and we were looking forward to that happening by the end of this year. If anyone can help us with these questions, we would very much appreciate it. Thank you for your time.
Czanne

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">