• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What a company can tell other's when you are fired.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blondie37tn

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

I was fired today at the restaurant where I waitressed for rule violations. I have not been personally informed of my termination...only through second-hand knowledge. A co-worker informed me that I had been fired.
My question is: What can a former employee tell or not tell other employees, future employers or customers about why you were fired? My co-worker said she was offered to view the videotape of why I was fired. They discussed with her and others there at the restaurant why I was fired. Is this not against labor laws?

Frankly if they want they can take out a television ad stating why you were fired if they want to.

Though why did a co worke teel you you were fired and not the manager in charge? Did you talk to the manager or did you just leave and say nothing?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Despite popular belief, you do not have any right to privacy when it comes to why you were fired.

An employer may tell anyone they like why you were fired in the absence of a binding agreement saying otherwise. I'm not saying it's necessarily a good idea, but it is not illegal and it violates no labor laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">