• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What constitutes offer of employment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lynnann

This is a rather complex question. I was interviewed and asked to move for a job with the Dept of Veterans Affairs. The job was dependent upon acquisition of a property, which was in dispute. I did move (3,000 miles) to be available at the time I was asked, however the position was postponed due to a dispute between the owner (City of DC) and the VA. I was given some independent contractor "busy work" in the meantime, but still the job was delayed. I am now told the job never existed as I understood it, that although I was interviewed and assured that when the position occurred it was mine...it was only this man's opinion that I would get it, and that in fact there is no job. I have been told that in actuality he never had the authority to offer me the job (by him), although at the time that he offerd the position, he represented that he was in a position to place me in it. I would like to know 1) - what constitutes an offer of employment; 2) what responsibility does a prospective employee have in assuring that the person offering employment has the authority to do so; 3) Does one have any recourse in not being fully informed of the status of an offered job?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">