• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What constitutes threatening e-mail?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

innocent joker

In the course of a business-related message to a female coworker, I included what I thought was a joke, an exaggeration of how upset I was that she didn't agree with me on some minor points. Now she has claimed to her supervisor that I sent her a threatening e-mail, and he has taken the issue to my supervisor, so things are getting way out of hand. Since we had worked closely together for two years, I thought she knew me well enough to know that I was joking and certainly meant her no harm, but now my reputation and personnel record are in danger of being permanently damaged over a joke. Is this legal? What should I do in my defense?

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Now you know the reason behind so many of these "employer employee relations videos, handbooks, consultants, etc".

As to what she did, if she took it badly (her right), she is perfectly entitled to complain. DO you have proof of your two year relationship with her? Do you have proof of joking with her before? Is she light hearted or does she take everything seriously?

You should seek an attorney in employment labor law who, ideally, has experience with email/cyber law issues.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">