• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What to do ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

njjoenc

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC
Try to make this short.
The wife worked for a service company for a few years, always told good job, just last month told doing awesome job by owner's right hand man. Never written up or disciplined, never missed a day of work.
Well new manager comes in 6 months ago sales drop 40% over night. They fire district manager and blame it entirely on him and sale rebound for about two weeks under new GM. A little while later same old same old. New manager fires everyone but my wife because the owners want her and know her ability to handle customers. New manager now has her son, daughter, cousin, and their girl friends there.
The owners right hand man calls her over about two weeks ago and asks her if she knows why sales went up the down within a two week period, she drops a hint that she has proof the new people are skimming from the profits. My wife is awesome with a computer and documented deposits, sales tickets don't match etc. Well since the manager seen her talking to the owners she was harassed sometimes for hours on end, cursed at and they started rumors that she stole money out of the safe. She has every text message with the manager cursing, everything. Hundreds of pages thousands of messages. The new district manager calls her a week later and asks why she left, she explains, he then tells her that the manager said she stole thousands in deposits, she explained she don't do deposits and she returned her office key months ago (did it with several witnesses, he said I know)when she realized the shortages.
She called the owner's right hand man and told him she had proof of who did the deposits, who is doing the skimming and a host of other things. He was very nice but said he can't get involved to go through the GM. Well he refuses to return her calls and the one time she did get in touch he said he didn't have time.
The manager shorted her pay thousands over the last few months and put in writing she's not getting paid(she has this). Won't let her collect unemployment. And now several of my wife's regular customers are calling and telling her they are telling everyone who comes in that she stole 25 thousand dollars and is in jail.
What is she to do she has an unbelievable rep. in the area (work, scouts, sports, etc) and it's being tarnished? And believe it or not she want's to go back and work there still.:confused:

Hot Topic

I'd suggest that you go to the libel/slander forum and get advice from a poster named quincy about that part of your post.

To date, her claim that she has proof of profit skimming is just that, a claim. At least I don't see anything in your post about her presenting the evidence to the police. The moment she "hinted" about it, she painted a target on her forehead. :confused:

Having someone curse you is unprofessional but hardly actionable. The new manager having family and friends there is not actionable.

njjoenc

Update.
She received a call from the GM Sunday evening wanting to meet her this afternoon. He stated that only 2 thousand had been lost and they know where it's at that's it.
She asked him well how about my reputation and explained about the many customers who called her and stated they are telling everyone she was in jail. He would just say everything will be discussed this afternoon.

Should she take a witness, tape the conversation or even maybe contact an attorney?

Right now she wants the money owed her like I said in the thousands.
They knew there was shortages or they wouldn't have asked her opinion. I did tell her not to give them anything if they wanted paperwork to make copies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">