• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what to do ??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lacey27

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I went on maternity leave on Sept 16th I took two weeks maternity leave. On friday Oct 2 the friday before I was to return to work I went to the office to get my check. I was then informed that the doctor wanted to talk to me that he would call me when he gets a chance and to hold off on coming to work monday Oct 5th, I was then informed later that evening via text message from the doctor to meet him at the office on tuesday Oct 6th that he had a few things he needed asnwered. I arrived at the office about 2:50 and was informed that the doctor was running about 45 mins late and I could either come back or wait. I waited till approx 4:05 to 4:15 and called into the office to see if he was going to be there soon I was then informed that he was stuck across town and would call me that evening I was upset so I asked if she could meet me at the office door with my things that were taken down from my desk and put in the doctor office she stated to me that that was not her instructions but she could I then stated that if my things are boxed up then I kinda know what to expect she then stated that she did not have my things boxed up in her possesion I said ok and hung up. I never received any phone call that evening so I called the office twice on wednesday on in the early afternoon and once about 5:45 - 6:00 my phone calls went unanswered, I then called that office thursday was told that he was with a patient I asked can I be expecting a call today, was told that she could not promise a call back today but that she would give him the message it is now friday the 9th I have yet to hear anything so I called the doctor one more time and left him a message that it has been a week and i keep getting told that he will call me/meet me at the office and neither has happened yet, that my life is at a financial stand still and that it has been a week if he would please call me today and let me know when I can come back to work or tell me something about what is going on.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I went on maternity leave on Sept 16th I took two weeks maternity leave. On friday Oct 2 the friday before I was to return to work I went to the office to get my check. I was then informed that the doctor wanted to talk to me that he would call me when he gets a chance and to hold off on coming to work monday Oct 5th, I was then informed later that evening via text message from the doctor to meet him at the office on tuesday Oct 6th that he had a few things he needed asnwered. I arrived at the office about 2:50 and was informed that the doctor was running about 45 mins late and I could either come back or wait. I waited till approx 4:05 to 4:15 and called into the office to see if he was going to be there soon I was then informed that he was stuck across town and would call me that evening I was upset so I asked if she could meet me at the office door with my things that were taken down from my desk and put in the doctor office she stated to me that that was not her instructions but she could I then stated that if my things are boxed up then I kinda know what to expect she then stated that she did not have my things boxed up in her possesion I said ok and hung up. I never received any phone call that evening so I called the office twice on wednesday on in the early afternoon and once about 5:45 - 6:00 my phone calls went unanswered, I then called that office thursday was told that he was with a patient I asked can I be expecting a call today, was told that she could not promise a call back today but that she would give him the message it is now friday the 9th I have yet to hear anything so I called the doctor one more time and left him a message that it has been a week and i keep getting told that he will call me/meet me at the office and neither has happened yet, that my life is at a financial stand still and that it has been a week if he would please call me today and let me know when I can come back to work or tell me something about what is going on.

It sounds to me like your next course of action is to brush up that resume and start looking for another job.

Hot Topic

Did you get your check?

It should be obvious to you by now that you're out of a job. I hope you kept a record of all the times you tried to contact the doctor and the reasons given for him not seeing you.

You should have collected your things when you were there.

commentator

File for your unemployment insurance. If you have been fully released by your doctor to return to work, and you tried to return to your work and you were told you were being terminated, you can file for, and will have a pretty good chance of being approved for benefits.

This will tide you over until you can find another job, and give you a chance to rest a bit, too, it sounds to me like being released to return to work after two weeks is really quick. You'll need a statement to submit to unemployment from the doctor that you are fully released.

I gather you have worked for a doctor in his office. If they behave typically for a medical office, they will probably try to create a thousand reasons why you were a bad employee, a bad person and they had a right to fire you. It sounds as though they have already given you the royal run around, but you do not have to have a separation notice or anything from them confirming you are terminated before you can file. Do so right away. Begin this coming week.

Prepare yourself for this mentally so your feelings are not too crushed. Be sure and mention when you file your claim that you had received no warnings or write ups prior to this, that you had been there x number of months or years and that you were given good reviews..... In other words, they are actually terminating you without a good misconduct reason to terminate. And don't be surprised if you hear that they are fighting the claim, saying they fired you for other reasons. But the key thing is, they had not made you aware of these new reasons. You will probably be able to get benefits, and you need them while you look for another job and adjust yourself to getting back into the work world.

lacey27

To: hot topic

I tried to collect my things and they would not release them to me. And yes I know exactly when I tried to contact the doctor and plan to pursue unemployment.

Thank you

To: commentator

yes I plan to do all of that.

Thank you

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">