• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What do I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

linarott

AZ -(February 20th, 2001)

I recently left a company, I did not resign, the branch manager basically told me I was leaving at the end of the month although I had worked my buns off for this company. I believe it all stems from when I was hired I was told by one of the brokers I would be working with that I would be making more along the lines what I was used to making within six months, six months came and went no review....then I was told there would be a review in a year, and then it was 15 months and after almost three years still no review. One of the brokers I had worked for when I first started didn't even have files set up for his almost 500 clients, so you can imagine the mess I walked into, the former assistant never filed anything, just stuffed everything in drawers, not even alphabetically, so I set up files, did a database for both brokers for mass mailings...well the one broker basically busted my buns, he wanted a mass mailing just about every week. He was constantly in my face. Anyway, I finally asked for a raise, what I didn't expect was that this broker's wife, came in to our office and called the other broker in which I worked with and held a meeting about my job skills, qualifications, etc. The problem, she was not an employee, she had no business even knowing what I was making and she had no idea what my skills were, I was constantly helping her with computer questions....the company didn't do anything about this, the branch manager knew she was there, but excused himself and left the building. Well you can just imagine how I felt when the other broker called me at home that night and filled me in on the meeting which lasted over two hours. After this situation took place, it was one thing after another and a continual battle working there, I believe it was because this broker was the assistant branch manager and he had it in for me. It got ugly and I wound up not working for him at all, which took money out of my pocket. In October I broke my ankle badly on our global volunteer day and went back to work six weeks later in a wheelchair. When I got back to work the first week still in a wheelchair, another broker was added on to me, then within a month I had four brokers and very little extra pay for make up for all the workload I was carrying. Also right before I broke my ankle, one of the broker who can't keep an assistant because of her very bad behavior in the past, a recovering alcoholic and a total nutcase as far as I am concerned and I saw the way she treated her past assistant, one was in tears almost every day she worked for her. Well, we got a new branch manager and he basically tried to force me to work for this woman. And I refused, because I met with her and she cried and brought up so many ugly things from her past at the company that I had no desire to be put in that bad of a situation as an employee. After that the new branch manager basically had it in for me, because it said it was my duty to work for her and I had no choice, but I did have a choice, they could not force me to work for this person, when I've seen her history at the company. Anyway, after I came back it was never the same, I was called in and basically was given the analogy that I was like Dennis Rodman everyone liked my work, but no one wanted to work with me. Which was an outright lie. I talked to the four brokers I worked for and they all said I was the best assistant they had ever had and they enjoyed working with me, so this was on his part, because he tried to make me work for a difficult broker who can't keep an assistant. On top of the fact that I am still recovering, although walking with a wheelchair. Anyway, I was told I was leaving at the end of February the 28th. Then the brokers I worked for asked me not to leave. So I was called in by the administrator and told it was okay that the branch manager said I could stay. Anyway a long weekend went by and on a Tuesday, February 20th...I was called in right before going home and told that there had been a misunderstanding and I was still expected to leave on the 28th....I feel that I was slandered, harassed, totally degraded as an employee. It is hard to go and find another job at this point, I am looking, however I am still trying to recover from basically being told I was a no body by this company, after working so hard for almost three years. On top of it while all this was going on....the main broker I was working for, she was thinking about leaving with another group of brokers to go to another firm, and she offered me $30,000 bonus to go with her, if she left, so she then wanted me to start making copies of information on her clients for her. All of this was going on at basically the same time I am trying to recover from a broken ankle, which I now have a permanent metal plate and two screws in my ankle holding it together, so I will never go without some form of swelling and discomfort the rest of my life unfortunately. I am totally devastated over this situation and I feel this company owes me big time for all the harassment and disgraceful way they treated me. I have also just received a copy of a form which was filed with NASD concerning my leaving which said it was a voluntary termination, which looks like I left because I did something wrong, which I did not....someone please tell me what to do about this situation, I think this company has operated like this way too long......

[Edited by linarott on 05-08-2001 at 07:24 PM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">