• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What do I do now?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Ashley

I live and work in NC. I worked for a company for 2 1/2 years. I never was on probation or had any complaints the intire time I was there. On Sept 18 at 4pm I notified my "boss" I wished to have the company heath insurance..offered by the company to all employees. The "boss" was upset and did not want to give it to me, but he said he was obligated to since it was poicy. Sept. 19 at 8:05 am I was terminated..no reason given. I believe this was in retaliation of me wanting heath ins. According to company policy I am due 32 hrs vacation pay at the next payroll after being terminated...this was Sept 23rd. I never recieved this. I wrote a letter requesting it. The letter was signed for on Oct 3. Since then 2 more payroll's have went by and still no check. My question is what are my legal rights about my termination and what do I do next to try and get my vactation time in which I am owed?

H

hannah jo

The only reason your "boss" was angry was because you requested health insurance? The fact the "boss" is in quotes leads makes me thin that this isn't really the "boss" who has hiring/firing power. In any event - next question - if the "boss" was angry, how did you respond??? Perhaps there is more to the termination ...
Unless you have an employment contract - or other reason to believe you had employemnt for a particluar lenght of time during which you could not be fired - may npt be much you can do about being fired.
You can, however, sue to collect you unpaid vacation time - even in Small Claims court!

------------------
Please note that these comments do not constitute legal advice. It is always recommended that you consult with a local attorney, who can explore all the facts and issues of your specific situation and then advise you of any legal rights and remedies you may have under the current laws of your jurisdiction.

A

Ashley

When he got mad I did not respond..I knew he wanted a confrontation and I wasn't going to give it to him. I answered his questions about why I wanted them (in a calm professional manner) which was That was the only benifit offered by the company and it would be in my best interest to have it. He was mad because I also had insurance through my husband (but that should haven't even been a factor) It was policy and it should have been followed through with. I was just in shock..never saw that coming.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">