• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What to do if find yourself in HR being fired?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kim Hartman

What is the name of your state? Missouri

Our company has new Management that seems to be firing good employees, especially middle managment with years of service. They recently fired someone that is very respected and has always been very professional. We know for a fact this was not because of doing something illegal or against company policies. There is some specualation that it is because of years of service and asking questions about new procedures. Even though we have always been trained to give our employees time to accept change and openly ask questions about major change that doesn't seem to be the case anymore with our new management. It is a bit more like a dictatorship. There have been rumors that the company wants to get rid of people with over 20 years of service. I want to be prepared should this happen to me. I have been with the company for 29 years, have always received good reviews & increases and nothing in my file that is negative about my work. This same person I just referenced had the same history.

The question I have is if I find myself in my boss's office with HR and they are firing me, what questions do I ask and what documents should I sign or not sign.?

If they have not given me any warnings about a behavior or documented poor work performance, do I have any rights?
If they offer a termination package but require I sign a statement that I will not sue, should I sign it?
Could they say you have to sign today or the offer is off the table? Do I have any rights to have it reviewed before signing?
Do they have the right to say you have to sign now otherwise the deal is off the table? Is there a certain amount of time you are allowed before you sign termination documents covering your leave package?
I know our company always have people sign documents that they cannot discuss the terms of their termination, should you sign these before showing a lawyer?

Additional information about myself and the company: Female age 50, will be 51 in July. Title: Sr. Director of Client Technlogy Solutions. Have not signed any contracts or non compete documents, the company is privately held, well know company in St. Louis, wants to be on the list of "Best Companies to work for in St. Louis"
I really don't think I am at risk of being fired based but the new managment is not one to be trusted and I just want to be prepared in case I find myself in a bad situation.

Thanks for informaiton that could help me should I find myself in an unfortune place.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">