• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what to do now

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jimster

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
iowa
I did a stupid thing and used a co workers credit card obtained outside of work and charged less than $300, I was called in and taken to the police station and given a letter from my employer stating I was terminated effective immediately. I am ashamed of what I did and do not excuse it in any way- My question is- was it fair to be termed and to be termed in that manner>

las365

Iowa is an at-will employment state, but there are circumstances where an employer can not discipline an employee for non-work related incidents that happen outside of work.
Really? Please cite the Iowa law that contains that little gem.

OP, your firing was completely legal, and in my opinion it was not only fair, it was the right thing for the employer to do to protect its other employees as wellas its own property.

leahann79

One of the most controversial grounds of just cause for termination involves the actions or activities of an employee outside of normal working hours. A court may conclude that such conduct could amount to just cause for termination if it occurs in the course of an event or activity that is somehow work related, is serious in nature and tends to reveal a less than honest or trustworthy character of the individual. What employees do after work if there business as long as they don't engage in illegal or immoral activities that would case a bad light on their employer. Additionally, some jobs require employees to sign a contract and agree to be governed by highers standards (i.e. TV news people may have different standards then the person working at McDonalds and professional athletes have to conduct themselves in various ways like wearing suits when traveling etc. which are all bargained for in the contract).

For example, a judge would rule that a serious assault of a fellow employee with whom the individual was involved in a romantic relationship, outside of business hours, amounted to just cause for termination.

Unless there is some link or connection that is established between the misconduct in question and the individual's employment or employment relationship, conduct outside of working hours will not normally constitute just cause for termination.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Except for just one tiny little detail.

Only in Montana is an employer required to have just cause to terminate an employee, and not always there. Unless a specific law specifically prohibits an employer from terming the employee for the reason they did, or the employee has a legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA that specifically says otherwise, an employee may legally be fired because it's Friday. It may or may not be fair; it may or may not be just; but it will be legal.

Google at-will employment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">