• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is what I say in an interview confidential???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

teacher24

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Minnesota

I work in a school district in Minnesota. Recently, the boss that I had decided to resign and go work elsewhere. I am qualified for this position, so I interviewed for it. My interview went well and I felt that I answered all of the questions honestly. Today at work, my former boss came into my office and told me that he had heard some "disturbing" things and he needed to talk to me about it. My co-worker actually asked if he should leave and my former boss told him to stay, because it would be good for him to hear everything. Anyway...my former boss was "disturbed" because he had heard some things from my interview that he did not like. What he was accusing me of was not true; the information he had was misconstrued from what I actually said. He yelled at me for a good couple of minutes and really made me feel like crap. When I told my fiance about this tonight, he told me that whatever I say in an interview, from his knowledge, is confidential and it cannot be used against me as it was. He told me I should contact a lawyer, because I likely have a case. Do I have a case?? Is what I say in an interview confidential? My fiance said he couldn't be for sure, but this is what he thought, so I am checking. I am fed up with the district because this is the third time this year I have been yelled at for things that my boss "heard through the grapevine." I guess I just thought that what I would say in an interview in front of four people would not come back to haunt me. It was an interview, not a review. If someone could help me out, I would really appreciate it.

pattytx

Generally speaking, there is no legal obligation for the interviewer to keep anything you say to him/her confidential. It may not have been proper for him to reveal something you said to this other person, especially if it was miscontrued or just not true, but it's not, in and of itself, illegal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">