• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What Info Can Employer Give Out

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tulsacowgirl

What is the name of your state? Virginia

My employer has decided to eliminate my position and outsource the work to another company. As part of the negotiations, the company doing the outsourcing has agreed to hire myself and one other. My employer has provided my resume, salary and benefits information to the outsourcing company. I was advised of this after it was provided, but did not give any form of permission. Is this allowed or is it a violation of privacy laws?

E

Elvis_is_back

You should be happy that your former employer was NICE ENOUGH to forward this info to the new company and secure/negotiate you a job.

They did not violate your privacy rights, they did you a favor. Also, please recognize that you do not need to work for this new company. If you don't want to work for them, or you're unhappy because they know your salary - you don't have to accept the position. If you feel that you deserve more $$, or you believe you're underpaid you have the option of asking for more $$- that's well within your rights.

Suing them for getting you a job would not be a good idea. Perhaps you should THANK THEM.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
With the exception of any medical information they may have, an employer may give any information they choose that is either true or their honest opinion to a prospective employer.

No laws were violated.

W

WorryWort

cbg, if what you say is true, then my current employer could tell a prospective employer he thinks I'm lazy, tardy, or unprofessional if he has that opinion of me... ??

What if you have the misfortune of working for a 'jerk'?

Of course, you could say, just don't tell your current employer you are looking, but what about 5-10 years down the line and you need a referral from that 'jerk'??

How do people get around stuff like that?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You either explain to the prospective employer up front what they can expect to hear and why, or you can line up some co-workers or other supervisors/managers who will give you a good enough boost to counteract the jerk.

There would be no point to giving references at all if employers were not able to give their honest input.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">