• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What info can be released?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Impatiens

What is the name of your state? California.

If a person is terminated and the employer decides to list it in their files as "unsatisfactory performance", can that information be released to prospective employers calling for reference?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Impatiens said:
What is the name of your state? California.

If a person is terminated and the employer decides to list it in their files as "unsatisfactory performance", can that information be released to prospective employers calling for reference?

My response:

Sure! Absolutely!

(as long as your former employer wants to be sued, that is . . .)

Negative job reference as retaliation - - most courts hold a negative reference by itself is an "adverse employment action." Therefore, plaintiff need not prove he or she would have been hired but for the negative reference. [Hillig v. Rumsfeld (10th Cir. 2004) 381 F.3d 1028, 1035-1036; Hashimoto v. Dalton (9th Cir. 1997) 118 F.3d 671, 675]

However, "It is well established that a former employer may properly respond to an inquiry from a potential employer concerning an individual's fitness for employment, and if it is not done maliciously such response is privileged." [Neal v. Gatlin (1973) 35 Cal.App.3d 871, 877, 111 Cal.Rptr. 117, 121; see Noel v. River Hills Wilsons, Inc. (2003) 113 Cal.App.4th 1363, 1369-1370, 7 Cal.Rptr.3d 216, 221]

IAAL

Last edited:

Impatiens

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:
"It is well established that a former employer may properly respond to an inquiry from a potential employer concerning an individual's fitness for employment, and if it is not done maliciously such response is privileged." [Neal v. Gatlin (1973) 35 Cal.App.3d 871, 877, 111 Cal.Rptr. 117, 121; see Noel v. River Hills Wilsons, Inc. (2003) 113 Cal.App.4th 1363, 1369-1370, 7 Cal.Rptr.3d 216, 221] IAAL
Thanks much for the info. I take it the caller could ask "Would you re-hire this person" to which the former employer is allowed to say "Yes" or "No", right?

Impatiens

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Impatiens said:
Thanks much for the info. I take it the caller could ask "Would you re-hire this person" to which the former employer is allowed to say "Yes" or "No", right?

Impatiens

My response:

That is correct. But, your former employer would be on that litigation slippery slope once he answers the inevitable "Why?" question. For his sake, I hope he refuses to answer that question.

IAAL

Beth3

I not sure you understood IAAL's point. An employer may not retaliate against an employee who exercised a protected right (i.e.complaining of prohibited discrimination) by providing an untrue negative reference but an employer is completely free to provide a reference in good faith. In fact most States have passed "hold harmless" legislation specifically protecting employers against legal action if they provide an honest reference - which includes discussing negative aspects of an employee's job performance or behavior with prospective employers.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">