• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What Are My Options?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lilizzy

What is the name of your state? -Wisconsin

I was fired from my job of almost two years due to ongoing medical leave. I was given notes by my doctor to give to my employer which they put in my file. I was called around my third week of leave and was told that I didn’t qualify for leave of absence and they had to terminate my employment. I was then told that I could come back and be re-hired by filling out the application again after I was healed. My boss confirmed that I no longer have a job there.

My injury hasn’t gotten any better and my doctors are changing my treatment.

So, what should I do? Do I (as a part-time) employee have any options?

I don’t qualify for workman’s comp because it was not work related. But, I wasn’t on leave for that long….until they fired me.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Whether or not you have any legal recourse depends on whether or not FMLA applies. A doctor's note has no force in law outside of FMLA. Doctor's notes are a dime a dozen and can even be found on the internet; an employer has no legal obligation to pay any attention to them unless the medical leave is protected under the law.

To determine if FMLA applies, I need to know the following:

1.) How many employees does your employer have within 75 miles of your location?

2.) In the last 12 months, did you work a minimum of 1,250 hours?

3.) How much time TOTAL did you miss in the last 12 months? Not just the final leave, all medical leaves put together.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">