• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are my options?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TommyLo812

I've been employed at a shoe store in Michigan for the past 6 yrs. There are 5 full time employees and myself and another person are pt (20-40 hrs/wk). With the slow economy I understand he can't always afford to give me 40 hrs. But lately things have picked up. Great right?. No, he goes and hires a high school kid and gives him 20 hrs a week and cuts me down by 15-20. I am a 51 yr old man with rent to pay like everyone else. A few weeks ago he asks me to switch my off day to help him out and I said "No, I have rent to pay and you continually cut my hrs". Well after that the 25 hrs I was getting turned into 19. And now this past week he has me scheduled only on Saturday for 6 hrs. This is not fair. He wants me to quit. I'm afraid if I quit I won't be able to collect unemployment. Please help. The bills keep coming...

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Your options are to work the hours he gives you, or to find a job that will schedule you for more hours.

commentator

Having your hours cut very significantly, and you being the only one this is happening to, and it very apparently being a sort of try to get rid of you move, you very likely could quit your job and file for unemployment benefits and might get approved. But filing for partial benefits would mean more money, at least until the employer does something else, either fires you or gives you more hours.

How many hours did you usually work in the last 6 years? Were all the employees hours cut lately due to the economy, especially the other part timer? Have they now been restored to what they used to be?

If I were you, I might consider talking to the EEOC commission, because it's pretty obvious the manager is trying to force a quit here. And hiring kids to take your place. This looks suspiciously like "ageism" to me. But anything related to this would not be an immediate thing, probably should only be done if he actually fires you. Even if it's not determined to be a valid case, maybe it'll scare him.

The thing about unemployment is that you could file for partial benefits, IF your gross wages in a calendar week are less than the amount you could be drawing a week in unemployment.(Doesn't matter if you're actually paid monthly or bi-weekly) To find this out, you'd have to go on and file a claim for unemployment.

I think you should do this, get a claim set up, know how much you can draw a week. The question they will ask the employer is, "Is this person working all the hours he has been given, or that you have available for him?" If they don't like your filing, they always have the option of increasing your hours. Or firing you outright, which will just about guarantee that you get unemployment approved.

Whatever happens, do file for your benefits if you decide to quit, or if the employer takes you off the schedule all together. But do not say, "I quit!" because your hours are cut until you've tried filing a claim for partial benefits.

Start right away, get it on record, and then let the chips fall where they may. If you get the claim set up, then any week that you make less than you could draw that week, you can suppliment your income by receiving some unemployment and the wages you made working.

Though unemployment is less than almost anyone could make working full time, and it does end eventually, it is certainly better than just the very part time thing you're doing right now, not by your own choice.

Last edited:

TommyLo812

Thank you all for your comments, I really appreciate the help. I'm just trying to make a living here and he's preventing me from doing so...

TommyLo812

In response to the commentator's questions....Over the last 6 yrs I have worked approximately 35-40 hrs/wk, with somewhat less (25-30) in the winter months. All the employees except myself and one other are full time (40 guaranteed). Honestly it is not a very nice group of people there. The manager in particular would occasionally say some nasty things toward me and when I said something in response he would cut my hrs in half for the next few wks. I learned to keep my mouth shut and take his abuse. They don't particularly like me because I do try to stand up for myself. The other part timer has her hours cut regularly also. After one instance where she spoke up for herself he cut her down to 8 hrs for the week. It's not fair what is going on there. All I want is to be able to pay my rent until I can find another job. What is your best advice for me? Thank you for your help...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">