• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are NYS laws regarding termination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Crystal Reyes

What is the name of your state? New York State

Does New York State have "at will" laws or "just cause" laws when it comes to terminating employees?

My boss is constantly firing his employees, only to re-hire them again, and I suspect that I am going to eventually become the next "candidate". Since joining his company three years ago, I have never received a performance evaluation, never signed a job description, nor have I received memo's or written warnings regarding my job performance. My job is "on the books", for I file taxes every year and tax is taken out of my paycheck weekly.

I am curious to know what my rights would be as a NYS employee in the event my employer decides to terminate me without reason.

Crystal Reyes said:
What is the name of your state? New York State

Does New York State have "at will" laws or "just cause" laws when it comes to terminating employees?

My boss is constantly firing his employees, only to re-hire them again, and I suspect that I am going to eventually become the next "candidate". Since joining his company three years ago, I have never received a performance evaluation, never signed a job description, nor have I received memo's or written warnings regarding my job performance. My job is "on the books", for I file taxes every year and tax is taken out of my paycheck weekly.

I am curious to know what my rights would be as a NYS employee in the event my employer decides to terminate me without reason.
At will. sry. : ) Make sure you don't do anything to violate policy, so when he starts acting crazy and firing people, there is no reason you can be denied unemployment.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Every state in the US except Montana is an at-will state. And even in Montana, you can be fired at-will in some circumstances.

If your employer in NY decided to fire you without reason, your right would be to apply for unemployment.

BelizeBreeze

cbg said:
Every state in the US except Montana is an at-will state. And even in Montana, you can be fired at-will in some circumstances.

If your employer in NY decided to fire you without reason, your right would be to apply for unemployment.
Actually, there is a new law in effect that states (in essence) if you are fired in New York you are required by law to move to New Jersey.

Now what could be worse than THAT????:D

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'm reminded of an old "All in the Family" episode where Mike has been complaining that he can't find a place he can afford for he and Gloria to move into.

Archie: Try Jersey.
Mike: I HATE Jersey!
Archie: EVERYBODY hates Jersey. But SOMEONE has to live there!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">