• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What to put on an application?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Scooby-Don

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

I was terminated yesterday. Any advice for what to put in the "reason for leaving" box on future applications?

What can an ex-employer tell a potential employer? I have heard two things--1)That they can only give start and end of employment dates and 2) that they can tell anything, including the reason behind the termination.

Any advice would be welcome.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Barring any medical information that they may have, they may give any information they care to as long as the information is true or their honest opinion. I don't know where so many people got the idea that the law restricts references to dates of employment, but it is NOT true. Yes, they may give the reason for termination.

I can't give you any advice on what to put in the "reason for leaving" box since I have no idea why you were terminated.

S

Scooby-Don

It was for harrassment.

I HONESTLY have never been approached by anyone in the 8.5 years with my employer for any thing I have said.

Evidently, I offended someone with inappropriate comments, but I have no idea what those are.

I joke, I kid and I banter just like 90% of the rest of the workforce there, but I was the one who was "caught".

I am not making excuses for myself, I just want to move on and find a good job to start over.

Again, any advice would be appreciated.

JETX

Most employers are 'gun-shy' of possible claims of discrimation or defamation being made by former employers, so instruct their HR departments and supervisors to only give FACTS on the referral. Things like start date, termination date, etc., hoping that by removing the 'objective and subjective' they will protect themselves.

This 'corporate policy' has been misunderstood by some as being the law, when it simply isn't.

K

KYSassy

There is one exception. If you have a legal agreement that states the former employer will give a neutral reference, then that is all that can be given, unless the former employer wants to subject him/herself to possible breech and defamation suits.

LOL...Jump on that one boys!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
But now you're talking about contractual agreements, not the law itself. Also, many such agreements are not legally binding. Finally, it's still not going to be defamation if the information provided is true or an honest opinion.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">