• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What`s my rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sjayk58

What is the name of your state?MD I am a retail mgr. I was told by my superiors to cut payroll hours. I did. One employee threatened to bring my personal past, an old dui and a offenisve touching I had when I was going through a divorce a few years back, up to the corporate offices if i didn`t give her her hours back. She said she obtained copies of my police record and driving record and would send them in with a letter. Of course I didn`t comply with her threats, but I am still concerned on what will happen when they get this information. These incidents were a one time thing when I was having trouble in my life, but by no means did they affect my work habits. This company I work for would like nothing more than hire someone half my age and pay them half my salary to take my place. I have worked for them for 27 years. I just want to know where I stand.

sjayk58 said:
What is the name of your state?MD I am a retail mgr. I was told by my superiors to cut payroll hours. I did. One employee threatened to bring my personal past, an old dui and a offenisve touching I had when I was going through a divorce a few years back, up to the corporate offices if i didn`t give her her hours back. She said she obtained copies of my police record and driving record and would send them in with a letter. Of course I didn`t comply with her threats, but I am still concerned on what will happen when they get this information. These incidents were a one time thing when I was having trouble in my life, but by no means did they affect my work habits. This company I work for would like nothing more than hire someone half my age and pay them half my salary to take my place. I have worked for them for 27 years. I just want to know where I stand.

(In the voice of Don Adams aka Maxwell Smart) "Ah, yes. It's the old skeleton in the closet, comes out to bite me, routine."

Sue her for invasion of privacy - - regardless of what happens with your job.

IAAL

gawm

CRAPASS M A R Y said:
(In the voice of Don Adams aka Maxwell Smart) "Ah, yes. It's the old skeleton in the closet, comes out to bite me, routine."

Sue her for invasion of privacy - - regardless of what happens with your job.

IAAL
LOL That's the late great Don Adams!

Last edited:

sjayk58 said:
Can you actually do that?

No, I can't. But you can. Tort liability for invasion of privacy arises from four distinct kinds of activities: (a) intrusion into private matters; (b) public disclosure of private facts; (c) publicity placing a person in a false light; and (d) misappropriation of a person's name or likeness.

You qualify for sections (a) and (b).

IAAL

rmet4nzkx

CRAPASS M A R Y said:
No, I can't. But you can. Tort liability for invasion of privacy arises from four distinct kinds of activities: (a) intrusion into private matters; (b) public disclosure of private facts; (c) publicity placing a person in a false light; and (d) misappropriation of a person's name or likeness.

You qualify for sections (a) and (b).

IAAL
But what if the inappropriate touching was with this party who's hours were cut and they had first hand knowledge of the facts of the DUI? That would not prevent the other person from filing an EEOC complaint or conveying information withheld from the employer if related?

rmet4nzkx

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=38734
sjayk58 said:
1-27-1
I live in DE. last year i was stopped for speeding and charged with DUI, first offense. I know there is an automatic loss of license for refusing the breathalizer test. which i didn`t. but could have i refused the roadside tests, seems like these are set up for even the soberest person to fail. Also would i have been better of submitting to the blood test instead of the breathalizer. I was barley over the limit.In this state you looses your license in a probable cause case and for the DUI. So you get hit pretty hard
Your DUI court records are public record.

sjayk58

I know it`s a matter of public record, but it`s history and I don`t feel that my employers have the right to do anything but question me about the incident. But isn`t it also extortion by the employee?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">