• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is wrong with this picture

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

peterb

Admin. shifted FMLA to sick leave then terminated me

What is the name of your state?Illinois

Went to school for aviation and took family leave of absence. This was due to stress of being put on a new bid whereby, I would have time between flights to study providing for staying on the Deans list, studying for final exams and the necessary oral and practicals, to complete aviation degree and get an A&P certification. After reporting to manning the first time of the new bid I was told to go tho the bag room where there is no down time. I panicked because the bid I bid on was for gates. I went directly to the FMLA dept. told them I was stressed and was told don't worry. They put me on FMLA right there on the spot.

Documentation available to show dates of counseling for stress. Two months later after getting the degree and certification and outstanding grades I attempted reinstatement. HR Dept., said, I lied to the company and stole their money for which a check for 124.56 was cashed by me. Admin. shifted the FMLA to a sick leave where by they must send a check. It’s like a trap.

The Union said prior to release because I was such a good employee during my tenure they would prepare and let me sign a release waiver which allowed me to say I quit instead of being fired. Since I just finished my BS degree in aviation maintenance management and obtained my A&P certification to work on planes. I didn't want this to tarnish my degree so, I signed it under pressure from the personnel department. I had mentioned attorney review and was given blatant gasps from the personnel director.

Now, when I fill out applications I'm being haunted. The applications all ask have you ever been fired or asked to resign. If I answer yes, I have to explain so much or answer no, which is a lie. Either way, it doesn't look good. I'm stuck in a vacuum. What do you recommend?

(Personal rebuttle) Recently, I completed another degree in automotive technology. I might get a job as a lube tech with a dealership at 8.00hr. My pay has totally gone backward for all my efforts. Toilet scrubbers earn more... I would have been better off continuing to just throw bags on the ramp instead of getting a degree or, two for that matter. What's wrong with this picture?

Last edited:

HomeGuru

peterb said:
What is the name of your state?Illinois

Went to school for aviation and took family leave of absence due to stress of staying on Deans list and taking all final exams necessary, to complete aviation degree.

Documentation available to show dates of counseling for stress. Was told at time of attempted reinstatement by HR Dept., I lied to the company and stole their money for which a check for 124.56 was cashed by me. Admin. shifted the FMLA to a sick leave where by they must send a check. It’s like a trap.

The Union said prior to release because I was such a good employee during my tenure they would prepare and let me sign a release waiver which allowed me to say I quit instead of being fired. At that time I had just finished my BS degree in aviation maintenance management and obtained my A&P certification to work on planes. I didn't want this to tarnish my degree so, I signed it under pressure from the personnel department. I had mentioned attorney review and was given blatant gasps from the personnel director.

Now, when I fill out applications I am being haunted. The applications all ask have you ever been fired or asked to resign. If I answer yes, I have to explain so much or answer no, and purge myself. Either way, it isn't good. I'm stuck in a vacuum. What do you recommend? Recently, I completed another degree in automotive technology. I might get a job as a lube tech with a dealership at 8.00hr. My pay has totally gone backward for all my efforts. (Toilet scrubbers earn more) I would have been better off continuing to just throw bags on the ramp instead of getting a degree or, two for that matter. What's wrong with this picture?
**A: are all the companies that you apply for ghosts?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Being stressed due to school is NOT a qualifying reason for FMLA. Your company was wrong to put you on FMLA for that reason. And even if they were right, they CAN require you to use sick leave as part of it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">