• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When are you legally hired?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

awilli2009

Oklahoma
When are you legally hired? We reached an agreement on salary. Then I was given the companies operations manual and told to learn it. Then my "boss" went on vacation and when he came back he is acting like he hasn't hired me yet. I have passed on other oppertunities because it was understood I was hired and given a task to do. Am I wrong? or am I hired?

pattytx

Have you completed any new hire paperwork, like the I-9 and a W-4? What does the boss say about when you "start"? How much time have you spent "learning" the operations manual?

awilli2009

I filled out the I-9 and W-4 and he won't take them. Any yes I read the operations manual he gave me cover to cover while he was gone. I also was sent to his accountant to meet with him and sent to meet with the girl he wants me to replace. Although I'm not allowed to tell her that he hired me or that I am replacing her. This is a multi-million dollar company there shouldn't be this game playing.

JETX

Oklahoma
When are you legally hired? We reached an agreement on salary. Then I was given the companies operations manual and told to learn it. Then my "boss" went on vacation and when he came back he is acting like he hasn't hired me yet. I have passed on other oppertunities because it was understood I was hired and given a task to do. Am I wrong? or am I hired?
Since the employer hasn't 'accepted' your paperwork, it is likely that you are NOT employed.

Other than reading the 'manual', have you actually done any WORK?? Did you actually show up at an office, sit at a desk, etc.??
If no to either, then you actually have not worked yet, and likely are not 'hired'.

awilli2009

I can't give them to HR because that is the girl that I am replaceing. She is incharge on HR, Operations, and General mgmt of the the whole company. And as far as the paperwork he could do a 1099 on me and let me handle the rest. I am in daily contact with him asking where he would like me to go and what he would like me to do for him. He keeps putting me off saying he is thinking about it or sends me to meet with someone. It has been two weeks of this.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I can't give them to HR because that is the girl that I am replaceing. She is incharge on HR, Operations, and General mgmt of the the whole company. And as far as the paperwork he could do a 1099 on me and let me handle the rest. I am in daily contact with him asking where he would like me to go and what he would like me to do for him. He keeps putting me off saying he is thinking about it or sends me to meet with someone. It has been two weeks of this.
Why would you get a 1099?
You have not been hired...and why would you want to work with a boss who does this sort of thing?

Yertle8

I'd try to take one of those other opportunities, unless you want to look forward to being stealthily replaced at some point down the line.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">