• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Where to address labor violations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

platano

I worked for a small employer (2 employees) in CA. I came to this employer with nearly 10-years of related, professional experience, excellent work ethic, and after several acquisitions and management changes, the ability to adapt to a multitude of management styles.
The office had no labor postings & I was provided no labor brochures/information @ time of employment. Although my employment agreement stated a daily one-hour lunch period would be given, it was made clear that we were expected to have "working lunches" to answer phones & greet people entering the office. An employee needed to have a "valid" reason to leave for lunch and even then, made to feel very uncomfortable with doing so.
I was given a 90-day review (per my agreement) and employment continued due to accomplishments and essentially no negative feedback. The Officer indicated her discomfort in delegating to me because we are the same age and because of my level of experience. Again, all feedback was positive and we agreed to continue to work on adapting me to her "micro-management" environment. My agreement further called for a 180-day review with financial compensation a factor. I made repeated requests for such and was given repeated reasons for 'post-ponement'.
The work environment became unbearable, my workload was decreasing despite repeated requests for more, and the Officer ultimately only communicated with me through the other 'tenure' employee 'as needed'. I sought and obtained other employment and on day 215 provided a 'two-week notice'. I was terminated later that same day & handed a final check. This was with no performance communication whatsoever since our meeting at 90-days and I was given no labor rights information (UI or otherwise) upon termination.
The company has had a 'revolving door' of employees in my position and I am not the first who has been subject to this treatment. I was also witness to EXTREME discrimination in hiring practices and interviewing techniques. The Officer is of the mind-set that they are doing employees a 'favor' by hiring them (and has said so) and treats them accordingly.
There are a number of different issues here. What are my rights with each & what can be done to bring this employer 'into compliance'?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Although not all of the issues you mention are illegal (I'm not saying they're not unfair, just not illegal) the ones that are illegal (the labor postings, the lunch issue) are under the auspices of the CA DOL. I'm not certain whether your state requires UI info on termination (mine requires it within 30 days) but no other info (COBRA, etc) is required on the date of term. There are varying grace periods the employer has to provide them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">