• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Where do I go from here?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Melbisbell

What is the name of your state? TN

I was recently fired from a women's health club. The owner said that he had some complaints about how I was doing my job. There were only 2 complaints, and only one of the complaints was about how I was working out and what I said one day off the clock. I filed for unemployment and my boss contested it. It went to the state, and the very next day they had a verdict that I can't receive unemployment. I am now appealing the verdict in a personal hearing. I can have a lawyer if I choose, but I can't afford one and the free ones work for the state and said that it was a conflict of interest to take the case. I have explanations of what happened about the two complaints and neither lady quit because of what I said. In fact I have 7 letters of recommendation to say what a hard and caring assistant manager I was. The hearing is coming up, and I am scared that he will slam me with his lawyer. I have never done anything like this. All I have is the truth of what has happened, but my employer seems to skew everything to the negative. Is there a certain course of action or defense I should take? It said that we could subpoena anything we liked. My co-worker would be a great witness, but might get her fired if she testifies against the owner. Please help me in this situation.
By the way, the real reason he fired me was over a letter I left him telling him I didn't think he could take money out of my check because a lady that I signed up didn't stay 6 months. I said that it might even be illegal. He called me the next day and fired me over the phone, but when I picked up my check, he had replaced the money that he had taken previously.

Thanks for the help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">