• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

While in hospital, Employer canceled my health insurance without notice.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DirkDiggs

What is the name of your state?CA

To make a long story short and in a nutshell, I worked for an employer that employs approximately 75 employees and I was there for a total of six months. Now, after my third month, I was diagnosed with a bad health condition. The employer was aware of the condition and even on one particular day I was feeling so bad that the GM took me to the hospital just to make sure I was ok. Yes that was very nice of him to do so. Apparently one month or so after that I called in stating I was not going to make it and that the doctor required for me to be hospitalized for what he saw at the time would be 10 to 15 days. The hospital off work document was faxed to them (which they now claim they never received) and they took my time off as me quitting. I was in the hospital when the doctor came in and told me my insurance had been canceled. I was already stressing out over my condition and then for that to happen. I received a certified letter with my last paycheck at my home 20 days from my last physical date I worked stating I was fired due to “Missing to much work and being found to be UNRELIABLE” I was never written up once for this and I have doctor notes to prove I was at a docotrs office on the days I was off the time I worked for this company.
Please tell me I am not the only one that sees something wrong with this.What is the name of your state?

ecmst12

You weren't there long enough to qualify for FMLA so it's legal. You should be offered COBRA which once you sign up for it will be retroactive to the date of your coverage termination. Make sure they are sending you the information as there is a time limit you need to sign up by.

DirkDiggs

Thing is I knew I did not qualify for FMLA but the doctors told me an employer can not fire anyone with a health condition. Also that no employer can terminate your health insurance without prior notification. Thats what they told me to look into and thats why I was asking.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thing is I knew I did not qualify for FMLA but the doctors told me an employer can not fire anyone with a health condition. Also that no employer can terminate your health insurance without prior notification. Thats what they told me to look into and thats why I was asking.
Don't take legal advice from doctors. Conversely, don't take medical advice from attorneys.

Contact your former employer about getting on to COBRA asap...

DirkDiggs

Thanks for the clarification guys I do appreciate it. You guys forgot though to let me know that my ex employer owes me 20 days of late penalties for sending my last pay check 20 days from the date I was fired. You been helpful.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thanks for the clarification guys I do appreciate it. You guys forgot though to let me know that my ex employer owes me 20 days of late penalties for sending my last pay check 20 days from the date I was fired. You been helpful.
You were "fired" for not showing up. Had you been at work, you could have picked up your check...

Stick with the REAL problem here ;)

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
We forgot?

You didn't ask about your paycheck. You asked about your health insurance.

Why should we tell you what you do not ask about and clearly already know? A bit arrogant for someone asking for FREE advice, don't you think?

eerelations

I guess he's just testing us. The whole story's probably made up. Don'tcha just hate going to the trouble of trying to help someone who turns out to be an arrogant little snot?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">