• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who can I sue to collect unpaid wages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dcrown0301

What is the name of your state? Texas

I am owed many thousands in back wages and the Texas labor board is currently reviewing my case. In the event it is not resolved at that level, I have some questions:

Background:
Employer claims lack of funds prevents him from paying but he is adding new people to the payroll. I am currently on unpaid leave. Company is a Delaware C-corp.

Question:
If employer does not pay after labor board decision, can I sue some or all of the board members and investors/owners of this company to collect? If assets of the corporation have been moved to other companies, can I sue those other corporations as well? Are there any situations where an employer's personal assets can be attached even though employer is a c-corporation?

Thank you.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Do you have reason to believe that the Texas Labor Board will NOT resolve the case?

JETX

"If employer does not pay after labor board decision, can I sue some or all of the board members and investors/owners of this company to collect?"
*** No. You could only sue the corporation. Individuals are not liable for the debts of the corporation unless you can show that they have personal liabilty or can show that they were negligent in perfoming their duties.

"If assets of the corporation have been moved to other companies, can I sue those other corporations as well?"
*** No. You have no legal 'ties' to these other corporations.. unless you can show that they are subsidiaries or somehow affiliated.

"Are there any situations where an employer's personal assets can be attached even though employer is a c-corporation?"
*** Yes. See above.... and the are long and expensive processes.

D

dcrown0301

As far as the labor board goes, I have a good contract and I do believe the ruling will be in my favor. I just don't believe the employer will pay when told to do so. He's been busy hiding assets in other companies he owns to avoid payment to unpaid employees and creditors.

Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it very much.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">