• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who would be liable?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AAHOLMA

North Carolina
What is the name of your state?

My 18 year old daughter works at the mall for a very well known clothing store . After hours while still on the clock they had to stay and stock and straighten the store. There was a manager that is over 21 and two other employees over 21 the rest were under 21 years old. They ask if they could go buy beer and drink it. She let the 21 year old go buy it. Everyone pitched in money to pay for it even though they were not old enough. All of them drank while on the clock and were allowed to drive themselves home. They have all been suspended. Who is at fault? Can the company itself accually be held responsible since they were on company time under the direction of a manager and they were under age? Will they have grounds to terminate them or can I fight this?

AAHOLMA

what is the name of your state?
NORTH CAROLINA- My 18 year old daughter works at the mall for a very well known clothing store . After hours while still on the clock they had to stay and stock and straighten the store. There was a manager that is over 21 and two other employees over 21 the rest were under 21 years old. They ask if they could go buy beer and drink it. She let the 21 year old go buy it. Everyone pitched in money to pay for it even though they were not old enough. All of them drank while on the clock and were allowed to drive themselves home. They have all been suspended. Who is at fault? Can the company itself accually be held responsible since they were on company time under the direction of a manager and they were under age? Will they have grounds to terminate them or can I fight this?[/QUOTE]

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Which "they" asked if they could buy beer?

Which "she" let someone buy it?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No one is innocent here and there is no single individual who is "liable".

The manager was a fool to allow drinking on the job. But since the purchase was made by an over-21 no laws were broken as far as that goes.

Just because the beer was there doesn't mean the under 21's had to drink it. They, and they alone, are responsible for the fact that they were drinking. It was irresponsible of the manager to allow this but no one held a gun to their heads.

The manager holds the most responsibility but anyone who picked up a beer is responsible for their own actions.

I don't see how the company holds any responsbility since (a) they did not sanction this and (b) they've taken action to see that the ones who did think twice about doing it again.

The company can, if they wish, terminate the employment of anyone who was involved. It would be a legal termination and you would have no recourse.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">