• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wife threatened to be terminated from work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cmb_arizona

What is the name of your state? arizona

Background.

My wife is general manager of a retail store. The retail company(stores in US) is large owning 6 well known retail shops. She is also 5 months pregnant. She was hired 1.5 years to be the store GM. She has 13 years experience being a retail GM for Zany Brainy and The Limited companies(Limited, Express, and Bath and Body works)
She has had problems with the staff(associates) some were there before she was hired. The company strives to be "people first". The problems start when associates call HR(human resources) to complain instead of acting with her or district manager. The root problem basically comes down to 2 associates that spread rumors,etc at the work place which effects moral(every business has people like these). The issue is upper management is aware of these individuals and is on record. However no action can be taken on these types of work problems..no tangible reason to be fired.
The sales part of the job is steady and improving but in the past dealt with "needs improvement" relating to staff issues. Shes in a real tought position, thinking associates want her out they know they can based on the companies associate policy. They think enough issues will cause her to quit, not be supported by upper management,etc.

Problem.
yesterday she met with the district manager and regional manager, they informed her she would be terminated in 1 month if no improvement is not made. She feels shes being "railroaded" to leave before a maternity leave. She previous GM for this store left after her 3 months maternity, my wife took her position.

question.

can she be fired if pregnant? remember she has not been "written up" once(the company policy is 3 write ups and someone can be terminated). The other 2 employess have been written up 1-2 times each for tangible reasons.
Should she fight for keeping her benefits if fired?(my benefit cost are high for spouse)

Sorry for the long post, trying to describe the situation.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions

C

Beth3

can she be fired if pregnant? Sure, as long as she'd be fired for the same reason(s) in spite of being pregnant.

remember she has not been "written up" once(the company policy is 3 write ups and someone can be terminated). The other 2 employess have been written up 1-2 times each for tangible reasons. Members of management are often held to different (and higher) standards than non-management employees. I'd also guess the handbook/policy manual doesn't guarantee that progressive disciplinary action will be followed in all situations.

Should she fight for keeping her benefits if fired?(my benefit cost are high for spouse) How? If she's no longer an employee, I seriously doubt the employer can keep her on their health plan as though she were an active employee. She would have the option of taking continuation under COBRA reg's however.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">