• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

at will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

buckeye7

What is the name of your state? Ohio

My state is an at-will state. I recently went through the whole employment process, backround checks etc. I have offer letter etc. I gave my employer notice, everything by the book. I was to start on a Monday. The Friday before I got a call saying they decided not to hire me, Of course my old position had already been filled. During that week, they had me doing some work in the evenings by e-mail, they even said it was great work. Only reason I got was they found someone with better qualifications.
Not sure how to keep my house now, I can't file for unemployment bc I was not fired or laid off. Any ideas???? PLEASE!!!!!!

StacyLB

Unfortunately, you are probably out of luck here. Your only recourse is if you can prove that the organization knowingly lied to you. That is difficult to prove.

Have you tried contacting your old employer? They may not take you back, but it could be worth a shot. Otherwise, you'll simply have to look for a new job.

Best of luck!

B

buckeye7

that makes no logical sense, what would the purpose be of getting an offer letter? Would they not be responsible for lost wages? thanks for the imput!

Beth3

You need to speak with an attorney. You *might* have a claim for detrimental reliance but that will be very fact specific. Only a local attorney will be able to advise you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">