• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"At Will" Employee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nubix

What is the name of your state? Oregon

About three years ago I quit a job as a dialysis technician due to a policy change that I felt endangered my patients. Since the policy change was instituted without any prior notice, I quit on the spot. I finished that day and turned in my keys.

When hired, I signed a form stating that I was an "at will employee," and they could fire me without cause with no notice. As an "at will employee" I could also resign with out reason or notice. I am currently applying for another job as a dialysis tech. and the manager asked me about my quitting without notice. A person who now worked in this companies office had once worked at my previous employers office and had heard that I quit without notice. Since I was not required to give this notice in accordance to the agreement that I signed, can I now hold them responsible for this being held against me in my current situation. By mentioning that I did not give this notice it implies that it was required. Who is responsible here the person who made the statement or the former employer? Or am I totally off base here?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state? Oregon

About three years ago I quit a job as a dialysis technician due to a policy change that I felt endangered my patients. Since the policy change was instituted without any prior notice, I quit on the spot. I finished that day and turned in my keys.
Okay.

When hired, I signed a form stating that I was an "at will employee," and they could fire me without cause with no notice. As an "at will employee" I could also resign with out reason or notice. I am currently applying for another job as a dialysis tech. and the manager asked me about my quitting without notice.
Okay that is allowable.

A person who now worked in this companies office had once worked at my previous employers office and had heard that I quit without notice.
Okay.

Since I was not required to give this notice in accordance to the agreement that I signed, can I now hold them responsible for this being held against me in my current situation.
Nope.

By mentioning that I did not give this notice it implies that it was required.
No it doesn't. Notice is something that is traditionally given. Not something that is required.

Who is responsible here the person who made the statement or the former employer?
You are responsible.

Or am I totally off base here?
Yep.

Beth3

Since I was not required to give this notice in accordance to the agreement that I signed, can I now hold them responsible for this being held against me in my current situation. By mentioning that I did not give this notice it implies that it was required. Who is responsible here the person who made the statement or the former employer? Or am I totally off base here?

You're totally off base. You DID quit without notice and your former employer (and their employees) are free to share that information. It is simply a statement of fact. Yes, you were free to quit without notice, although that's generally considered a less-than-professional thing to do and can raise eyebrows with future prospective employers

justalayman

So basically the "At will" thing only benefits the employer.
No, it benefits the employee in the same manner. They cannot force you to remain at a job any longer than you want to be there.

At will has nothing to do with your work history or personal impression you left with your former employers. You acted in a manner that is considered less than desirable when you quit without notice.

How does employment "at will" affect that?

A

Aria

Don't try to deny it. Tell the current place the truth, that you were more concerned for your patients' welfare than to stay in that position. A company CAN hold your past against you for quitting without notice, just as you can decide to quit or not interview at a place based in its history. Any place worth its beans will like that you are so concerned about your patients. You're probably less likely to make an error that would result in them being sued.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">