• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is an "at will employee" born free and equal in dignity and right

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ginkgo

What is the name of your state? CA

I was hired after my internship w/o any hiring process because the agency was in a desperate need to fill in the position of the previous health educator who immediately left for his school. As a new MPH graduated and was promised for a big chance to be put into a permanent position, I took the job through a temporary assignment. She also mentioned that she herself and many other permanent employees at the office started from temporary employees. I went through an orientation and signed a job description and salary range as a Health Educator.

Over a month after being hired I just found out that my position was not as a Health Educator, but as a Health Education Assistant II - even though I was doing the exactly the same assignments and responsibilities, such as: doing Quarterly report and catching up the program benchmark, as the previous Health Educator did. I asked my Supervisor as there had no any conversation to me before about this undefilling position, she said it can be adjusted later on once I submit my Diploma of MPH. She also said that they did not take a transcript or a proof letter from the Registrar that I was already MPH at that time.

The second attempt of discussing this issue, I was told in "between the lines" statement that basically they have prepared the position to the existing staff whose project will be end in 2008. And that that staff was not MPH then they underfilled the position. She emphasized that that other staff is bilingual. During the periode of my assignment, I had done a great job even though I was lack of Spanish language skill. The Supervisors could not deny this fact and the logical reasoning that the lack of Spanish skill is not a main barrier of outreaching the new clients. I innitiated and established 10 new clients of apartment/multi units owners within a month, which is a rare case and catched up the left behind benchmark of the program.

The promise had gone away as time moved along. The Supervisor started a "mood swing" actions between praising my great job and undermining me in front of others. She constantly critiqued my English accent and phrases in front of other collagues, rejected to make business cards for me without allowing me toask why, did not implement the promise to ergonomic compliance I asked for, using tactiv and abusive investigation to make me acknowledge that I was wrong, etc . Twice the Supervsor told me to get out form her office room, yelled at me and repeatedly harassing me that I have to listen to her, that I should not question her decision, that she was the boss, etc. She also constantly mentioning that I had to be really really aware that I was just a "at will or a TAP (Temporary Assignment Program) employee and she can terminate me any time without obligation to give any reason. In addition to this harrassment and thread she mentioned that work performance does not matter to her.

She proved her threat when she was so upset to me one day and emailed me on January 29,2008 that the termination day will be as of 03/03/08. HOWEVER, THE NEXT DAY afternoon, without interacting with them at that day, I was called that I was terminated on Jan 30th instead of 03/03/08. . Later on when I phoned the SUpervisor, he said that the immediate termination was due to my inappropriate action of emailing his Supervisor - asking for an advice (????). He said it was agaist the rule of chain of commandment which I was told in opposite way by the other Supervisor. I have never been oriented about this rule and never had any documented information given to me

I would really appreciate of any inputs, feedback, and advices to me.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
File for unemployment and look for a new job. Nothing you have posted suggests that your termination was illegal.

Betty

There was nothing illegal about this termination. You can be terminated at any time for any reason except a reason protected by law (ie age, religion, gender) or unless you had a bona fide employment contract or CBA to the contrary. It's just like you can quit a job at any time for any reason w/o a contract to the contrary.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">