• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

At will employee with due rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nojobnoworries

(Arkansas) Greetings! Recently, I took a job and signed an offer letter saying I was an " at will" employee and that I could be terminated "without reason or cause." However, in the employee handbook it states, "The School ensures that constitutional due process will be followed in all employee dismissals."

Therefore, am I entitled to due process before termination?

sandyclaus

(Arkansas) Greetings! Recently, I took a job and signed an offer letter saying I was an " at will" employee and that I could be terminated "without reason or cause." However, in the employee handbook it states, "The School ensures that constitutional due process will be followed in all employee dismissals."

Therefore, am I entitled to due process before termination?
Does the handbook happen to define what they mean by "constitutional due process"?

Due process is the legal requirement that the state must respect all of the legal rights that are owed to a person. As an "at-will" employee, you don't have any specific rights other than not getting terminated for a reason that is contrary to law (i.e. discrimination due to belonging to a specific protected class).

As long as they honor that commitment (they are legally required to), then they could terminate you for any reason they see fit - such as the principal declaring that the sky is green and you contradict him by saying it's blue. That would be a perfectly legal reason for firing you. Not one that you'd necessarily agree with, but perfectly legal nonetheless.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
At will is the default. You're not at-will because it says so in the offer letter; you're at will because you didn't sign anything saying that you weren't. All employees in 49 out of 50 states, and some in the 50th, are at-will unless they have a legally binding contract, CBA or other signed document that says they're not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">