• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

at-will employee overseas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

salafeeknight

What is the name of your state? Durham, NC, but I work in Kuwait.

Greetings to all,

I am one of many Americans who performed his military duty with the US Army and got out in 2002. I, like many Americans who served in the Armed forces of America accepted Contract work overseas in to help support the war on terrorism. We are in many locations Iraq, Afghanistan, Turkey, Europe and the likes. I am in Kuwait.

I have been on my current contract since February of this year (2005). However, I was terminated from my job abruptly without any warning. I came in worked the whole day and when I prepared to leave for home, I received the news that they were letting me go immediately.

I have had many problems with my company being an American Muslim. I have been called terrorist, Usaama bin Laden and al-Qaeeda. I was even threatened with death by another employee, and nothing happened to him after I filed a complaint against him with EO. This is just a taste of the hardship that I've been through since working with the military and the retired military personell.

My supervisor who is British and my manager who is American have been strong enemies against me and have done everything to get rid of me but I prevailed and won each charge against me. I have taken my case before the EO officer and the Project Manager and nothing changed.

My wife and three small children came to visit me here in kuwait and my youngest son of 1 years old had to get surgery because of an absest that just popped up. My wife had to stay in the hospital overnight with him. Things are very different in this country.

So, I had no one to take care of my other two chidren. I phoned my supervisor and told him the situation. I asked him if I could take the following day off to tend to my other two chidren. He agreed. That was on July 2 around 7:30pm. I took off July 3rd as I requested. When I returned to work on July 4th I was terminted. The reason, failure to report to duty.

I was overwhelmed. I thought why let me work? Why not call me and fire me at home or in the morning? I was so tired of all the other harassment and issues that I signed the termination letter. I was dizzy, upset and shaking - you could see that in the way I signed the termination letter. I couldn't even read the termination letter although I tried. For whatever reason, when I Looked down at the paper it all looked blurry, and I could not comprehend anything.

After signing the termination letter, and breathing again - normally. I stood and shook my mangers hand and said goodbye. My mangers response was you act like you were expecting this and then said you have to be more motivated on contract jobs. I said, I will remember that next time thank you.

When I reached to shake my supervisors hand he jumped and fumbled about. I did not realize that until I played back the events in my mind. Finally, some days later after what they call an outprocess where you make sure you return all the companies personal effects and ID badges and they return your passport which I still have not recieved since July 4, so I am stuck here until then.

Anyway, I was finally able to read the termination letter and it stated as I said above that I failed to report to duty, but there was no date. I became suspicious and then it hit me. My supervisor! He did this. He never told the manager of our conversation about my son and so he thinks that I did not show up to work.

However, I could not prove it because I had no record of me calling him or him calling me. Today, I went to the place where you can get a record of your calls and to my surprise they were able to give me a detailed reading of the calls that I made and who called me. And yes, my supervisors number was there plain as day calling me in the evening of my sons operation.

I know that with At-Will employment they can terminate you just because you wore a blue shirt and the boss hates blue (perhaps it reminds him of his ex-wife and their bitter divorce and on the court date which won her half his lifes work...she wore blue).

But that is not the case, the employer did not cross all his "T's." Nor did he dot all of his "i's." He was sloppy and I have the burden of proof with me that I did call him and he knew I would be out that day, and I have doctor and hospital documentation as well.

So he is trapped but no one knows this except my wife. I have the secret weapon.

I need to know what are my rights. When is termination discrimination. My supervisor terminated me with a lie and that is dishonest and suggest to me discrimination against me by race, religion or both.

Can anyone tell me what can someone in my situation do. I am working overseas in a foreign country. The company falls under the labor laws of this country. I need to get on this now that I have the proof I need. I need to move swiftly but smartly. Can anyone recommend a lawyer who is familiar with oversea contract workers?

Thank you all.

eerelations

Sorry, salafeeknight, I'm Canadian and I don't think I'm knowledgeable enough about US law to answer your questions. There are a number of members here who are extremely knowledgeable and can answer your post 'way better than me.

Just curious though, I noticed this post has been sitting around for two days now without a response, this seems like a kind of long time. Why hasn't anyone responded yet? Again, just curious...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">