• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

At will employee sucks big time!!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

katrinagardener

What is the name of your state? Michigan

Hell-o Being an At will Employee sucks big time!!!!!I was terminated because I stuck up for my rights! The employer gives us their stupid hand-book with all of their rules, and expect us to follow them, but then when it comes right down to it, my employer does not follow them. What is the point?

For example, In their stupid hand-book it states that if an employee comes to work drunk with a .04 percent blood alcohol content or higher they will be discharged. Guess what???? Never happened to that employee. And his employee was obviously drunker than a stunk. Couldn't even walk!!!! Good thing the cops didn't catch her driving on her way to work. She would have been in jail!!!

Now me!!!!! I called in sick to work because I was sick. Called in according to their stupid rules 2 hours prior to the start of my shift. Because I did not have enough PTO time(I was lacking a little over 2 hours for an 8 hour shift) I get fired!

I was sick, and work in a nursing home with old people. No where in their stupid hand-book does it say that one can be terminated for not having enough PTO time to call in sick! So, I guess it is better to come to work drunk, than to call in sick! Because management can do whatever the hell it is that they want, irregardless of a stupid employee handbook(that only suits them) due to the fact that I am an "At will employee!"

At will employee rules and laws suck! I have letters of commendation, prior to this!!!!!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There's no question that in the current economy and job market, at-will employment favors the employer. However, that is not always true.

Less than five years ago, it was a very different story. There were more jobs open than there were people to fill them. New employees could practically write their own tickets. An employee could quit if an employer even looked at them sideways in a way they didn't like, because they knew that they'd be able to find a new job within minutes whereas the employer would find months trying to find a qualified replacement. I spent hours in meetings trying to come up with affordable benefits plans that would incite our employees to stay put/bring in new employees without bankrupting the company.

I didn't hear anyone complaining about at-will employment then.

K

katrinagardener

At will Employee's

Why is there no laws to cover at will employee's??? Why do employer's get to make up the rules with their special policy and procedure manuals, and than not follow them? I guess I would have been better off to come to work drunk, according to the policy and procedure employee handbook. I was fired because I did not have enough PTO time. I guess they wanted me to come to work puking. We have patient's that are on hemo-dyalysis and chemo-therapy. They are not to be subjected to illnesses. We have people that come to work with strep-throat. The resident's get really upset when we are sick while caring for them. Again, how can "At will employee's" get screwed by their employer's? I have no recourse because I live in the State that I live in, and I am not in a Union.

We tried to get a Union in where we worked. Somebody placed Union brochures on all of our locker's and somebody removed them. Our employer does not want a Union, so they can continue screw all of us over!

Because, I am an "At will employee" I have no recourse! That is not fair at all!

K

katrinagardener

cbg said:
There's no question that in the current economy and job market, at-will employment favors the employer. However, that is not always true.

Less than five years ago, it was a very different story. There were more jobs open than there were people to fill them. New employees could practically write their own tickets. An employee could quit if an employer even looked at them sideways in a way they didn't like, because they knew that they'd be able to find a new job within minutes whereas the employer would find months trying to find a qualified replacement. I spent hours in meetings trying to come up with affordable benefits plans that would incite our employees to stay put/bring in new employees without bankrupting the company.

I didn't hear anyone complaining about at-will employment then.
That may be true, in whatever field you work in, but not in the Nursing profession. Hell-o there is a nursing shortage, and why nurses cut off their nose to spite themselves is beyond me. And the nursing shortage is only expected to get bigger, as the baby boom generation enters the health care industry!

And beside your response has nothing whatsoever to do with my questions or statements. We are not talking about "less than five years ago." We are talking about "NOW."

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There are plenty of laws protecting employees, They just don't happen to be ones that grant you a guarantee of employment.

rpm66

I feel your pain. I am from Colorado Springs and worked 4 years for a company out of Boulder. The last 2 1/2 years primarily in the Denver metro area either driving to and from daily or living out of a bag. This last September I was terminated for as the ops manager stated "after 4 years we don't feel like you know what you are doing." This meeting took place in a Starbucks parking lot, I was asked to meet the ops manager at a Starbucks in Castle Rock to go over what and where I would be working the next couple months and to deliver a piece of test equipment that another tech needed. Upon arriving I was told we both know why we are here and was handed my last check. I returned the test equipment. The ops manager then asked if I had other tools or equipment and if so that if I did not return them they would block my unemployment. As usual his planning my termination was the same way he planned work schedules. I am not sure what the actual reason was over the 4 years with pay and expenses I made roughly $350,000.. They paid for tires,plates,tags, gas card, hotel stays and so on. So its hard to buy that I didn't know what I was doing. About a year and a half ago I was told by one of the other techs that they had one of the supervisors trying to provoke me to quit, I figured if that's what they wanted they had the power too but I was not going to give in. I am Hispanic and put up with comments such as "why don't you do the drywall work your people our quite good at that sort of stuff." or like this summer while on a job that has the word "federal" in it I was told by one of the security guards that the ceiling I was working in had asbestos and actually I was aware of it but he stated it didn't matter since I was a brown skin and told me I was getting terminated at the end of the job. I reported the comment about being a brown skin to my ops manager and also asked the if it there was any validity that I was being terminated. The ops mgr. assured me I was not being terminated and that he would "check into the brown skin comment". Later that day I was confronted by the supervisor on the job about calling the ops manager. I had saved vacation and sick time to have a much needed torn rotator cuff repaired in October this was the advice I received in May from the ops mgr. upon being diagnosed with the tear. So needless to say now that I am unemployed I cant have the surgery because that makes me ineligible for unemployment. I may just be venting but if anyone could lend an ear I would appreciate it.:mad:

Proserpina

I feel your pain. I am from Colorado Springs and worked 4 years for a company out of Boulder. The last 2 1/2 years primarily in the Denver metro area either driving to and from daily or living out of a bag. This last September I was terminated for as the ops manager stated "after 4 years we don't feel like you know what you are doing." This meeting took place in a Starbucks parking lot, I was asked to meet the ops manager at a Starbucks in Castle Rock to go over what and where I would be working the next couple months and to deliver a piece of test equipment that another tech needed. Upon arriving I was told we both know why we are here and was handed my last check. I returned the test equipment. The ops manager then asked if I had other tools or equipment and if so that if I did not return them they would block my unemployment. As usual his planning my termination was the same way he planned work schedules. I am not sure what the actual reason was over the 4 years with pay and expenses I made roughly $350,000.. They paid for tires,plates,tags, gas card, hotel stays and so on. So its hard to buy that I didn't know what I was doing. About a year and a half ago I was told by one of the other techs that they had one of the supervisors trying to provoke me to quit, I figured if that's what they wanted they had the power too but I was not going to give in. I am Hispanic and put up with comments such as "why don't you do the drywall work your people our quite good at that sort of stuff." or like this summer while on a job that has the word "federal" in it I was told by one of the security guards that the ceiling I was working in had asbestos and actually I was aware of it but he stated it didn't matter since I was a brown skin and told me I was getting terminated at the end of the job. I reported the comment about being a brown skin to my ops manager and also asked the if it there was any validity that I was being terminated. The ops mgr. assured me I was not being terminated and that he would "check into the brown skin comment". Later that day I was confronted by the supervisor on the job about calling the ops manager. I had saved vacation and sick time to have a much needed torn rotator cuff repaired in October this was the advice I received in May from the ops mgr. upon being diagnosed with the tear. So needless to say now that I am unemployed I cant have the surgery because that makes me ineligible for unemployment. I may just be venting but if anyone could lend an ear I would appreciate it.:mad:

Please don't post to old threads.

If you have a legal question, you can start your own.

Thanks.

Antigone*

You do realize that you vented in a place where venting is frowned upon, and even more ludicrous, you vented in a six year old thread.

What a winner:rolleyes:

Pro honey, I think he needed to visit ventersanonymous.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">