• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will this be a problem for collecting unemployment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

feinre

What is the name of your state? New York.

My husband was just fired from his place of employment for 'stealing'. He does embroidery digitizing. What happened, was that my husband provided an embroidery service to an existing client of the business 1 time. The customer approached my husband directly to have this service performed - it was not solicited by my husband. My husband never signed a non-compete agreement. And the employer knew and agreed to the fact that my husband was going to continue with side jobs similar to this. There was no physical property or money taken from the company. The customers are free to choose who provides this particular service. Will this accusation prohibit my husband from collecting unemployment pay? And if so, is there a way to challenge this accusation? Thank you.

Beth3

feinre, I answered your question on another board and given the additional detail I asked you about (which anyone else will need as well to try and answer your question), concluded it was just too close to call.

Perhaps some others will have some opinions, although you'll need to explain your situation more fully - your post is confusing as to exactly what the situation was.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I've read the post on both boards, and while I don't disagree at all with Beth's assessment on the other board, I can tell you that in about 99 cases out of 100, no one on this or any other board can tell you for certain what the outcome of an unemployment claim will be, and the 100th case will be when an employee quit for a reason that is CLEARLY not a valid reason under state regs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">