• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

withholding pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

geepers

What is the name of your state? My state is New York My daughter is a 20 year old college student. she was working at a deli. she quit on wed. after being forced and friday was payday. she left my address and they were to mail her her money. after a week went by and another payday I called about her check and was told she wouldnt get her money till she paid 20.00 for a peice of glass from a frame that fell of the wall while she happened to be working. she wasnt the one who took on the responsiblity of those paintings when they were put on display in his deli he did. so as more time went on and no pay I called him again(about two weeks) he told me he decided to go ahead and pay her cause it was the right thing to do and to be looking in the mail for it. huh.......its been 3 1/2 weeks now and still nothing. she called him one time today.. he yelled ..your not getting it till I get my 20 bucks and dont call here again or I will slap harasssment charges on ya and hung up. Is this guy right or what can he do all this withholding over 20.00 she never should pay anyways. She didnt even work there when they were placed in the deli. and her point is how can I pay him if I cant get paid, not that she should pay him. were talking about 43 hours at over 7 an hour. to her thats alot of money.

Beth3

No, this guy is not right. NY reg's require that final wages be provided no later than the next regular pay day. He cannot hold her check hostage even IF she owed him money, which clearly she does not.

Your daughter should contact NY's Department of Labor and file a complaint.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">