• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

withholding pay check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

absolut

Just recently i was fired from my job because my boss said that she heard that i was talking about her. i worked in a daycare and our classroom did a fund raiser to raise money for our christmas party and presents. out of everyone in that class only five parents participated. since i was fired before the christmas party i have decided along with the parents to give them the money. my ex employee calls me and tells me that she is going to hold my check until i bring her the money can she legally do that since the fund raiser was not done through her company but done through me??????

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

No she cannot withhold the check. I would understand if you held the money for your own benefit, she cannot withhold this from you.

In fact, most states require the final paycheck be given to you within something like 10 days.

So......you should give us your state and then we can find the exact statute for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">