• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

With/Without Cause Termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bongo66

What is the name of your state? MD

My employment was recently terminated by my employer. In the meeting when I was terminated I distinctly remember my Manager telling me that I was being terminated "without cause". In my employment agreement it states that if my employment is terminated "without cause" I am to receive 1 month's severance pay, so I emailed the HR Director to remind her of this. She emailed back and is now telling me that I was terminated "with cause", and therefore am not entitled to the severance pay.

As I see it, this is their word against mine, and I disctinctly remember being told I was being terminated "without cause". Also, the termination letter I was given says nothing about being terminated "with cause", so how can they now claim this??

Any thoughts or advice on this? Do I have a leg to stand on with this? Thanks!

Beth3

Since no laws require an employer to provide severance pay, this becomes a contract dispute: (1) whether the agreement you refer to constitutes a contractual agreement the employer is obligated to comply with and (b) whether you were terminated with or without cause. The only person who can advise you on this is an attorney and only after he/she sees the employment agreement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">