• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

woman in a mans world

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

losman

What is the name of your state?CA
Hi: I worked for a company for 10+ years until yesterday. After 6 years I was promoted by default when the man that held this position left. I was told I wouldn't make any less money than I was, since I had been on commission and now on salary. I worked in that positon for 4 years. I asked for a cost of living raise, this was ignored as was the request for a review for the passed 10 years. I was then demoted to a made up positon and replaced by a man.
That positon lasted 5 months. I was let go yesterday due to the position I was in seemed not needed.
I am bitter, as I put up with this company like being in a bad marriage, taking verbal abuse, mental abuse, etc. thinking one day it would get better.
Then when the son of this private owned company took over it got really bad.
I really feel like I was just paroled out of prison, but am still bitter, since this prison did give me a pay check. We were all made to sign an "At Will" employment contract when the son took over. So I feel I am SOL.

Question is since I was replaced by a man and subject to verbal abuse, I mean F**K this and F**K for the last 10+ years, do I have any recourse? I did get 2 months severance pay, which is better than a stick in the eye. I just can't get over all I put up with, to be put out in the cold.
Thanks for ANY response.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You were an at-will employee whether you signed an agreement to that effect or not. Employment in every state except Montana (and even sometimes in Montana) is at will automatically unless you have a bona fide contract that says you aren't.

Half the people in the world are men; there was a 50% chance that you would be replaced by a man. That is not enough in and of itself to give you any legal recourse. There is no law prohibiting profanity in the workplace.

Gadfly

I was promoted by default when the man that held this position left.
So let's see. You had a job you didn't earn and you hated but money kept you there. They fired you (which they can) and they paid you to leave.

Now you want a reward for. . .what?

You had a job you hated but you kept doing it for the money. There's a word for that.

losman

. After 6 years I was promoted by default when the man that held this position left. I was told I wouldn't make any less money than I was, since I had been on commission and now on salary

I did say thanks for any response, I should not have.
You put words in my mouth. I was promoted by default as I had taught myself the job as this MAN had trouble coming to work, sniff sniff.,
I was the only one that could step into the job. When they found a MAN to replace me, I was demoted.
I was happy until demoted.
There is a word for working for a company for a long time, even if you are not totally happy, it's called loyalty,

koiomo

i'm sorry

losman,

i posted a thread in this forum & got the same idiotic responses from the same idiots who just attacked you. i'm sorry it had to happen -- freeadvice used to be a good forum, but now it seems to be crawling with maggots. i'm a prepaid legal member & am able to consult with a REAL attorney whenever i want. i'm also currently using legalmatch.com to find an attorney in my area. i suggest you do the same.

peace & blessings,
koiomo

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">