• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wondering

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hollygolightly9

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Hello,

I recently informed my emplyer that I was going to take a trip and would be absent for 10 days. He then started bringing in additional people (which he would have done anyway); and had me start to train them in my duties (under duress). My boss says this is to "make life easier for me." I work in Administrative/clerical area. We have lost a lot of advertising in our monthly publication dueto economic curcumstances. My boss wants me to do more fundraising, which does not interest me and which I have no inclination to do. I informed lmy boss of this and his response was "so...you learn..."
In spite of the fact he insists he does not want to fire me, I am still suspicious. Can you offer any help?

Last edited:

Antigone*

Hello,

I recently informed my emplyer that I was going to take a trip and would be absent for 10 days. He then started bringing in additional people (which he would have done anyway); and had me start to train them in my duties (under duress). My boss says this is to "make life easier for me." I work in Administrative/clerical area. We have lost a lot of advertising in our monthly publication dueto economic curcumstances. My boss wants me to do more fundraising, which does not interest me and which I have no inclination to do.
In spite of the fact he insists he does not want to fire me, I am still suspicious. Can you offer any help?

You want to go on a trip. Your boss graciously makes allowances for that to happen but doesn't want to be put out so he asks you to train people to cover your position. He then wants you to help with some fundraising so that all of you can keep your jobs and you resist.

I think you're doing a great job of seeing yourself out the door. And how is it that we are supposed to help you:confused:

Mass_Shyster

Hello,

I recently informed my emplyer that I was going to take a trip and would be absent for 10 days. He then started bringing in additional people (which he would have done anyway); and had me start to train them in my duties (under duress). My boss says this is to "make life easier for me." I work in Administrative/clerical area. We have lost a lot of advertising in our monthly publication dueto economic curcumstances. My boss wants me to do more fundraising, which does not interest me and which I have no inclination to do.
Sorry, I hate fundraising too, so I can't help you.

Seriously, unless you have an employment contract, there's not much you can do about changing working conditions. You are (probably) an employee at will. That means you can quit at any time, for any reason. That also means you can be fired at any time, for any reason, with some limited exceptions (illegal discrimination, whistle-blower laws, FMLA, etc).

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Keep in mind - if the boss asks you to do fundraising and you refuse and are fired as a result...you can be found not eligible for unemployment compensation.

commentator

True, it probably will fall under "insubordination," hard to defend in unemployment appeals.

I honestly think you should be desperately seeking another position where you have no fund raising responsibilities, or else bite the bullet and make some sort of effort, as the boss said, "Learn!"

I understand as I simply hate to do fundraising, selling, etc myself, but you are really traveling a risky path. If they want to fire you, they can and will, you have no recourse or defense. Yes they can do this to me!

In these tough economic times, they just have to find someone who says, "Me, I LOOOVE fundraising! Do it in my sleep!" and you're toast.

GonzoFL

Every week there are articles all over the net concerning employees being asked to "do more" ...."to go above and beyond". Fewer people are being hired...it's just the way it is right now. IMHO....I would do the best I could at learning fund raising. Maybe with a "can do" attitude....a promotion or raise could be in your future.

P.S. I would venture to guess that there are over a 1000 hungry people in NY right now that would be more more than happy to do the job that you have no inclination to do. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">