• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wont allow me access to personnel file?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

afallison

What is the name of your state? GA

I was recently fired and was told the reason was..."cause its an at will state and we dont have to have a reason"

I know there is nothing I can do about this but I wanted to see my personnel file. I emailed my employer requesting a copy of my separation notice and the other documents I have signed. I was responded to with this..

"It is not our practice to disclose employment records to persons who are not active employees"

I thought I had the legal right to have access to any document I had signed. Am I wrong? Since they are denying me access my interest is peaked and I want to know if there is anything I can do?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, you are wrong. Although some states have that provision, Georgia is not one of them. No Federal or Georgia statute gives you the legal right to see your personnel file or any part thereof; it is entirely up to the employer whether to allow it or not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">