• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Won't hire due to "burning bridges" with the company?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sarajens09

I live in Idaho.

My husband and I used to lease commercial space from a ski resort. We leased the space for 8 years. I made a sexual harassment complaint against one of the resort managers, and communications between myself and the CEO turned sour due to my complaints. This affected my ability to have a lease with the company and I was unable to sell my business due to the CEO actively working against us. I have dozens of emails prooving this. In April we closed shop, we are in the process of going bankrupt. At the time we owed the resort about $5,000.00, although we have in writing that the CEO was previously "prepared to let us out of our lease." The CEO was angry that he couldn't "trade" the amount we owed the resort for our commercial equipment (so that they could open right back up with our kitchen).

My husband went to one of the department managers to apply for a job. The department manager told him that he "just didn't know what to tell him." I heard the manager say "You are more than qualified for the position, yet apparently you have burned bridges with the closure of your deli." My husband then said "You can't hire me, can you?" the manager said "I can't tell you that, John".

I sent an email to the three top managers of the resort (including the HR manager) and I asked why my husband was on an official or unoffical "no hire list". I stated that my husband has done nothing wrong, that we were forced to declare bankruptcy after the CEO actively worked against our business. I asked HR to call my husband and tell him what was going on.

I assume that I have been "black-listed" from working at the corporation also. I have documented facts of sexual harassment and the company retaliating against me ever since. This first started 2 years ago. We own a home at this resort and have two autistic kids to take care of. I also have a mental disability of Autism and I don't want to have to pull my kids out of school and seek work out of state, which is what we are being forced to do.

I have thought of having the bankruptcy attorney help us with this, but he is way too busy it seems.

cyjeff

It is legal to refuse to hire someone because you don't like them.

It is legal to refuse to hire someone because they pissed off the CEO of the company.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
...and it's not illegal to not hire somebody because his wife "...sent an email to the three top managers of the resort (including the HR manager) and I asked why my husband was on an official or unoffical "no hire list". (etc.)

cyjeff

Quite honestly, if I receive something like that letter, I would not only never hire your husband but would also consider a restraining order.

wyett717

In addition, they have no obligation to tell you why they didn't hire him. It could've been that he wore a red shirt when he applied for the job. Your circumstances are unfortunate, but the company did nothing wrong.

phase08

I sent an email to the three top managers of the resort (including the HR manager) and I asked why my husband was on an official or unoffical "no hire list". I stated that my husband has done nothing wrong, that we were forced to declare bankruptcy after the CEO actively worked against our business. I asked HR to call my husband and tell him what was going on.
You’ve got some nerve. :rolleyes:
Your problem is that you don’t realize the rest of the world doesn’t take orders from you. If your husband chooses to do so, that’s his problem.

swrdmbo

You don't seem like a dumb person but I have to wonder...

WHY would you think ANYONE in this corporation would want to have anything to do with either of you when you have brought legal actions against them?

Do you not get that they would be crazy to hire YOU OR YOUR HUSBAND???

In their opinion I am sure they see you as a royal PITA and your husband is guilty by association.

I don't know what you were hoping to gain by your "sexual harassment" charges, but did you really think they were going to willingly involve themselves with ANYTHING to do with you, let alone hire your husband?

You cannot be that naive.

Would you expect a doctor to take your husband on as a new patient after you had sued that same doctor?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">